- VINTAGE MAP REPRODUCTION: You'll love this high quality historic reproduction of 1885 Tallahassee Map. Our museum quality maps are archival grade, which means it will look great and last without fading for over 100 years. Our print to order maps are made in the USA and each map is inspected for quality. This beautiful artwork is a perfect addition to your themed decor. Vintage maps look great in the home, study or office. They make a perfect gift as well.
- MUSEUM QUALITY: This high quality map print will be a great addition to your vintage-themed wall. Don't waste money on cheap-looking, thin paper posters. We use thick, fine art print quality matte paper. Our professional's choice matte paper displays artwork in high detail without glare. The color is vibrant and text is easy to read. When framed, this map looks absolutely stunning.
- A LOOK BACK AT HISTORY: This is an impressive, historic reproduction of 1885 Tallahassee Florida Poster. This print is from an original found in the maps and geography division of the US Library of Congress. A true piece of history. See our product description section for more fascinating information about this historic map and its significance.
- READY TO FRAME: This print includes a 0.2 inch border for a perfect frame fit and look. Our maps are designed to fit easy-to-find standard frame sizes, saving you money from having to pay for a custom frame. Each map is inspected for quality and shipped in a rigid tube.
- HISTORIX: We love history and art. Sometimes old maps have tears, folds, separations and other blemishes. We digitally restore and enhance maps while keeping its historical character. All our maps are proudly made in the USA. Customers all over the world love our vintage maps and we know you will too.
Produced by prominent American cartographer and lithographer Henry Wellge, this stunning depiction of Tallahassee, Florida, shows the iconic city in a period of significant growth and transformation. The State Capital of Florida, Tallahassee, has a rich history and unique culture since it became the Capital in 1824. Tallahassee has become recognized as one of the most important educational and scientific centers in the South. Wellge became known for his bird's eye perspectives, which were wildly popular from the middle of the nineteenth century until the 1920s. His depictions were renowned for their detail and featured prominent civic features to attract industrialists and workers alike. Residents and merchants would also display these illustrations in a show of civic pride.
Florida joined the United States in 1845 after becoming an American Territory in 1821. During the American Civil War, Tallahassee was the only Confederate state capital east of the Mississippi to avoid being captured by Union forces and the only city to avoid any damages during the conflict. However, a small conflict did occur with the Battle of Natural Bridge just south of Tallahassee only one month before the conclusion of the war.
By the late nineteenth century, the city had developed a bustling local economy and gained attention as a cultural center for the American South. Immigrants flocked to Tallahassee to establish communities and neighborhoods on distinct cultural lines, many of which exist today. The distinctive aesthetic and unique style immediately transport the viewer back in time, and this is an authentic price of American cartographical history.
Our museum quality giclee print comes printed with archival ink on premium heavyweight matte paper. Shipped in a sturdy cardboard tube your print will arrive ready to be framed. This eye-catching vintage map reproduction print makes the perfect gift for anyone that loves history and imagery.