- VINTAGE MAP REPRODUCTION: You’ll love this high quality historic reproduction of 1886 Map of New York City Poster. Our museum quality maps are archival grade, which means it will look great and last without fading for over 100 years. Our print to order maps are made in the USA and each map is inspected for quality. This beautiful artwork is a perfect addition to your themed decor. Vintage maps look great in the home, study or office. They make a perfect gift as well.
- MUSEUM QUALITY: This high quality map print will be a great addition to your vintage-themed wall. Don't waste money on cheap-looking, thin paper posters. We use thick, fine art print quality matte paper. Our professional’s choice matte paper displays artwork in high detail without glare. The color is vibrant and text is easy to read. When framed, this map looks absolutely stunning.
- A LOOK BACK AT HISTORY: This is an impressive, historic reproduction of 1886 Map of New York City Poster. This print is from an original found in the maps and geography division of the US Library of Congress. A true piece of history. See our product description section for more fascinating information about this historic map and its significance.
- READY TO FRAME: This print includes a 0.2 inch border for a perfect frame fit and look. Our maps are designed to fit easy-to-find standard frame sizes, saving you money from having to pay for a custom frame. Each map is inspected for quality and shipped in a rigid tube.
- HISTORIX: We love history and art. Sometimes old maps have tears, folds, separations and other blemishes. We digitally restore and enhance maps while keeping its historical character. All our maps are proudly made in the USA. Customers all over the world love our vintage maps and we know you will too.
Published in the same year as the opening of the Statue of Liberty, this stunning bird's eye view map depicts the great city in a time of unmatched prosperity. Ellis Island had yet to become the established destination for immigrants, and the town was enjoying a gilded age. The 1880s marked the emergence of one of the most iconic pieces of New York's history, the skyscraper. Depictions of these soaring wonders of steel and glass appear alongside the thriving waters surrounding Manhattan and the mid-rise residences. This uniquely American piece of architecture started in New York City and is among its most defining features.
This period also marked the annexation of surrounding cities and counties into what is now recognizable as the five boroughs. However, this map was produced two years before the conglomeration of the boroughs was made official.
Bird's eye perspectives were produced for merchants and residents alike to display their civic pride, and their striking aesthetic immediately places the viewer in the Tim and place they depict. These maps were never produced to scale and served to index notable buildings, gathering places or businesses. This was also a time that saw the development of another modern institution, the department store, which permanently reshaped the contemporary idea of service and luxury. This led to a burst of growth uptown and the creation of the so-called "Ladies Mile." Innovation and energy were bursting forth from New York in this time of great creativity.
Our museum quality giclee print comes printed with archival ink on premium heavyweight matte paper. Shipped in a sturdy cardboard tube your print will arrive ready to be framed. This eye-catching vintage map print makes the perfect gift for anyone that loves history and imagery.