- VINTAGE MAP REPRODUCTION: You'll love this high quality historic reproduction of 1887 Honolulu Map Poster. Our museum quality maps are archival grade, which means it will look great and last without fading for over 100 years. Our print to order maps are made in the USA and each map is inspected for quality. This beautiful artwork is a perfect addition to your themed decor. Vintage maps look great in the home, study or office. They make a perfect gift as well.
- MUSEUM QUALITY: This high quality map print will be a great addition to your vintage-themed wall. Don't waste money on cheap-looking, thin paper posters. We use thick, fine art print quality matte paper. Our professional's choice matte paper displays artwork in high detail without glare. The color is vibrant and the text is easy to read. When framed, this map looks absolutely stunning.
- A LOOK BACK AT HISTORY: This is an impressive, historic reproduction of 1887 Map of Honolulu Hawaii. This print is from an original found in the maps and geography division of the US Library of Congress. A true piece of history. See our product description section for more fascinating information about this historic map and its significance.
- READY TO FRAME: This Inch print includes a 0.2 inch border for a perfect frame fit and look. Our maps are designed to fit easy-to-find standard frame sizes, saving you money from having to pay for a custom frame. Each map is inspected for quality and shipped in a rigid tube.
- HISTORIX: We love history and art. Sometimes old maps have tears, folds, separations and other blemishes. We digitally restore and enhance maps while keeping its historical character. All our maps are proudly made in the USA. Customers all over the world love our vintage maps and we know you will too.
Published by prominent Hawaiian born William DeWitt Alexander, this unique depiction of the Hawaiian State Capital of Honolulu shows the iconic city in a period of significant transformation. Hawaii was some six years away from achieving statehood in 1893, but Honolulu had already been established as the commercial center for the island chain. Many prominent merchants had flocked to the city, which had come to be down for its thriving port and as a waypoint for ships sailing to Southeast Asia, Japan, and Australia. As these businesses were established, the city began to flourish and gain notoriety as a popular tourist destination as early as the 1880s.
Honolulu experienced a population and tourism boom following the annexation and State stats of the islands as Americans flocked to the region, spurring an economic boom never before seen in the region. This sparked broad interest in the region, and Alexander was tasked with mapping many areas and towns throughout Hawaii. His maps were known for their attention to detail and accuracy in depicting the dramatic terrain on the islands.
The late nineteenth century marked the end of a turbulent century for the Hawaiian Islands, and as the islands neared the turn of the twentieth-century residents were creating a unique culture that was a blend of local traditions and new American cultures that established neighborhoods and communities, many of which exist to this day. The distinctive aesthetic immediately transports the viewer back in time, creating a bond between the past and present.
Our museum quality giclee print comes printed with archival ink on premium heavyweight matte paper. Shipped in a sturdy cardboard tube your print will arrive ready to be framed. This eye-catching vintage map reproduction print makes the perfect gift for anyone that loves history and imagery.