- VINTAGE MAP REPRODUCTION: You’ll love this high quality historic reproduction of 1889 Detroit Map Poster. Our museum quality maps are archival grade, which means it will look great and last without fading for over 100 years. Our print to order maps are made in the USA and each map is inspected for quality. This beautiful artwork is a perfect addition to your themed decor. Vintage maps look great in the home, study or office. They make a perfect gift as well.
- MUSEUM QUALITY: This high quality map print will be a great addition to your vintage-themed wall. Don't waste money on cheap-looking, thin paper posters. We use thick, fine art print quality matte paper. Our professional’s choice matte paper displays artwork in high detail without glare. The color is vibrant and text is easy to read. When framed, this map looks absolutely stunning.
- A LOOK BACK AT HISTORY: This is an impressive, historic reproduction of 189 Detroit City Map. A true piece of history. See our product description section for more fascinating information about this historic map and its significance.
- READY TO FRAME: This print includes a 0.2 inch border for a perfect frame fit and look. Our maps are designed to fit easy-to-find standard frame sizes, saving you money from having to pay for a custom frame. Each map is inspected for quality and shipped in a rigid tube.
- HISTORIX: We love history and art. Sometimes old maps have tears, folds, separations and other blemishes. We digitally restore and enhance maps while keeping its historical character. All our maps are proudly made in the USA. Customers all over the world love our vintage maps and we know you will too.
This birds-eye perspective of one of America’s most iconic cities shows it in a period of significant prosperity, growth, and transformation. It was produced by local lithography and mapmaking company Calvert Lithographing Co which was established in 1863 and would operate for nearly a century. Birdseye perspectives were wildly popular during the late nineteenth century until the 1920s, and their unique style and immediately recognizable aesthetic transport the viewer back in time, creating an indelible bond between the past and present. These were produced to feature prominent civic features, notable buildings, and as promotional material to attract residents and merchants alike.
Founded as a French fur trading outpost by the end of the nineteenth century, Detroit had experienced a population boom spurred on by a thriving industrial economy. During the so-called ‘Gilded Age,’ Detroit became known as The Paris of the West, and numerous modern skyscrapers were constructed around the downtown. Detroit's immigrant population also expanded during this time, with eager residents flocking in from Eastern Europe, Ireland, and Germany. These groups established numerous neighborhoods along cultural lines, many of which exist to this day.
Detroit would experience another wave of immigration when Henry Ford established his Highland Park Plant. The city became a beacon of modernity with paved streets, and Thomas Edison debuted his incandescent light bulb and illuminated the city with 122 light towers in 1884. As the turn of the century loomed, Detroit had become a symbol of American exceptionalism, prosperity, and opportunity.
Our museum quality giclee print comes printed with archival ink on premium heavyweight matte paper. Shipped in a sturdy cardboard tube your print will arrive ready to be framed. This eye-catching vintage map reproduction print makes the perfect gift for anyone that loves history and imagery.