Published in the same year that Washington gained statehood becoming the 42nd state, and this depiction of Washington shows the state in a time of great transition. Upon entering the Union, Washington found itself in a period of unprecedented prosperity, and Seattle's thriving ports were becoming the primary economic driver, edging out lumber as the primary source of capital in the region.
The Great Fire of Seattle broke out on June 6, 1889, and would forever transform the great cities' architecture, marking a turn from Victorian timber-clad homes to structures constructed with brick, steel, and glass. This transition was just one of many that the city experienced in the late 19th century as it's reputation as a rough and tumble frontier town was waning. It was becoming a progressive and diverse city. The cities population boomed following the fire, and it quickly became the largest in Washington. Located in present-day Pioneer Square, the fire was centralized downtown and destroyed nearly 25 city blocks.
Produced by noted American cartographer, and civil engineer W.H. Galvani for the prolific JK Gill map company, this is truly an authentic piece of cartographical history. As the country neared the turn of the century, manufacturing was becoming one of the primary industries. With cosmopolitan Seattle leading the charge, much of the eastern portion of the state remained dedicated to agricultural and mining efforts. These maps are glimpses into life in the late 19th century and allow historians to develop a sense of life at the time.
Our museum quality giclee map Washington State print comes printed with archival ink on premium heavyweight matte paper. Shipped in a sturdy cardboard tube your print will arrive ready to be framed. This eye-catching vintage map map Pacific Northwest reproduction print makes the perfect gift for anyone that loves history and imagery.
- VINTAGE MAP REPRODUCTION: You’ll love this high quality historic reproduction of 1889 Washington State Map . Our museum quality maps are archival grade, which means it will look great and last without fading for over 100 years. Our print to order maps are made in the USA and each map is inspected for quality. This beautiful artwork is a perfect addition to your themed decor. Vintage maps look great in the home, study or office. They make a perfect gift as well.
- MUSEUM QUALITY: This high quality map print will be a great addition to your vintage-themed wall. Don't waste money on cheap-looking, thin paper posters. We use thick, fine art print quality matte paper. Our professional’s choice matte paper displays artwork in high detail without glare. The color is vibrant and text is easy to read. When framed, this map looks absolutely stunning.
- A LOOK BACK AT HISTORY: This is an impressive, historic reproduction of 1889 Washington State Map . This print is from an original found in the maps and geography division of the US Library of Congress. A true, accurate piece of history. See our product description section for more fascinating information about this historic map and its significance.
- READY TO FRAME: This 20x24 Inch print includes a 0.2 inch border for a perfect frame fit and look. Our maps are designed to fit easy-to-find standard frame sizes, saving you money from having to pay for a custom frame. Each map is inspected for quality and shipped in a rigid tube.
- HISTORIX: We love history and art. Sometimes old maps have tears, folds, separations and other blemishes. We digitally restore and enhance maps while keeping its historical character. All our maps are proudly made in the USA. Customers all over the world love our vintage maps and we know you will too.