Created in 1889 and depicting relief heights and nautical charts, this map of Puget Sound is a historical document of a region rich with history and culture. Named in 1792 after Huguenot Lieutenant Peter Puget, the Puget Sound refers to both the waters and surrounding land. This map followed the completion of the Northern Pacific railroad line in 1888 which connected the entire region to the eastern United States. Active trading and the rich waters provided ample opportunity for commercial fishing, and these made up the primary economic drivers. The diverse flora and fauna of the area have drawn recreational fisherman here for decades as well in hunt of steelhead trout and sockeye salmon.
Digitally restored and enhanced to correct colors, alignment and with minor blemishes removed, this unique piece of nautical history is sure to interest any lover of American or nautical history. The map also details the many lighthouses of the region as well as the safe channels for vessels to navigate, tides and buoy locations. This is an uncommon piece of cartographical history and would make the perfect gift for anyone that appreciates the rich history of the region, or maritime antiquities.
Prominent islands within Puget Sound today include Anderson Island, Bainbridge Island, Blake Island, Camano Island, Fidalgo Island, Fox Island, Harstine Island, Herron Island, Indian Island, Marrowstone Island, Maury Island, McNeil Island, Squaxin Island, Vashon Island, and Whidbey Island.
This striking reproduction is printed on heavy matte stock with museum quality archival ink, your print will come shipped in a sturdy cardboard tube to ensure 100% satisfaction. Our reproductions make an ideal piece of decor for any study, classroom, office or home.
- VINTAGE MAP REPRODUCTION: You’ll love this high quality historic reproduction of 1889 Puget Sound Map . Our museum quality maps are archival grade, which means it will look great and last without fading for over 100 years. Our print to order maps are made in the USA and each map is inspected for quality. This beautiful artwork is a perfect addition to your themed decor. Vintage maps look great in the home, study or office. They make a perfect gift as well.
- MUSEUM QUALITY: This high quality map print will be a great addition to your vintage-themed wall. Don't waste money on cheap-looking, thin paper posters. We use thick, fine art print quality matte paper. Our professional’s choice matte paper displays artwork in high detail without glare. The color is vibrant and text is easy to read. When framed, this map looks absolutely stunning.
- A LOOK BACK AT HISTORY: This is an impressive, historic reproduction of 1889 Puget Sound Map . This print is from an original found in the maps and geography division of the US Library of Congress. A true, accurate piece of history. See our product description section for more fascinating information about this historic map and its significance.
- READY TO FRAME: This 16 x 24 Inch print includes a 0.2 inch border for a perfect frame fit and look. Our maps are designed to fit easy-to-find standard frame sizes, saving you money from having to pay for a custom frame. Each map is inspected for quality and shipped in a rigid tube.
- HISTORIX: We love history and art. Sometimes old maps have tears, folds, separations and other blemishes. We digitally restore and enhance maps while keeping its historical character. All our maps are proudly made in the USA. Customers all over the world love our vintage maps and we know you will too.