- VINTAGE MAP REPRODUCTION: You’ll love this high quality historic reproduction of 1891 Map of Illinois with Closeup of City of Chicago. Our museum quality maps are archival grade, which means it will look great and last without fading for over 100 years. Our print to order maps are made in the USA and each map is inspected for quality. This beautiful artwork is a perfect addition to your themed decor. Vintage maps look great in the home, study or office. They make a perfect gift as well.
- MUSEUM QUALITY: This high quality map print will be a great addition to your vintage-themed wall. Don't waste money on cheap-looking, thin paper posters. We use thick, fine art print quality matte paper. Our professional’s choice matte paper displays artwork in high detail without glare. The color is vibrant and text is easy to read. When framed, this map looks absolutely stunning.
- A LOOK BACK AT HISTORY: This is an impressive, historic reproduction of 1891 Map of Illinois with Closeup of City of Chicago. This print is from an original found in the maps and geography division of the US Library of Congress. A true piece of history. See our product description section for more fascinating information about this historic map and its significance.
- READY TO FRAME: This print includes a 0.2 inch border for a perfect frame fit and look. Our maps are designed to fit easy-to-find standard frame sizes, saving you money from having to pay for a custom frame. Each map is inspected for quality and shipped in a rigid tube.
- HISTORIX: We love history and art. Sometimes old maps have tears, folds, separations and other blemishes. We digitally restore and enhance maps while keeping its historical character. All our maps are proudly made in the USA. Customers all over the world love our vintage maps and we know you will too.
Published by prominent 19th century D. Appleton & Co, this distinctive illustration shows the state in a period of significant transition. Chicago had become an iconic American city and was famed throughout the world for its cultural contributions. The city had been rebuilt since the Great Fire two decades earlier and was starting to build steel and glass structures similar to those being erected in New York City.
This period saw one of the most significant periods of prosperity and expansion for Chicago as its financial district grew bolstered by the productive manufacturing, meat processing, and shipping industries. Produced two years before what is considered the most influential World's Fair in 1893, this depiction allows the viewer to be transported back in time.
By the 1890s, Illinois' population had boomed to over 5 million with immigrants from North and Western Europe flocking to the region for opportunities to farm the fertile soils in the southern portion of the state or for work in Chicago. The immigrant communities in Chicago established thriving neighborhoods and created networks that continue to thrive today.
It was during this time that Chicago also became a center for labor activism with the Haymarket Riot and Pullman Strike. Illinois' diverse industries and proximity to Lake Michigan allowed it to become one of the most prosperous and influential states in the nation. As the United States saw itself transforming from an agrarian society, Illinois was at the forefront, and this illustration of the state is an authentic piece of American History.
Our museum quality giclee print comes printed with archival ink on premium heavyweight matte paper. Shipped in a sturdy cardboard tube your print will arrive ready to be framed. This eye-catching vintage map reproduction print makes the perfect gift for anyone that loves history and imagery.