Published the year before the oil boom of 1892, this illustration of Los Angeles portrays the great city in its sleep infancy, waiting to be forever transformed. The population hovered around sixty-five thousand and would nearly double by the close of the decade. The thriving port and ability to transport imports into the heart of the country allowed the local economy to prosper, and the city was developing an identity. The Central Business District had been established, and Angelenos were enjoying a thriving agricultural and cattle ranching industry.
The completion of the Southern Pacific Railroad line had started the expansion of the city, and the population had grown by sixty-thousand since the 1870s. The growth is apparent in this illustration. Bird's eye perspectives were produced to allow merchants and residents alike to display their civic pride and depict notable buildings and businesses.
Though the city was thriving and competing as a port with San Francisco, the discovery of oil by Edward Doheny would change the landscape and economy of Los Angeles forever. Millionaires were made overnight in the rich oil fields, and by 1923 the city produced nearly a quarter of the global supply of crude oil. One of these oil barons, JP Getty, would go on to create some of the most iconic museums and public spaces in Los Angeles. The distinctive aesthetic of this illustration immediately transports the viewer back in time, and the details of the notable buildings make this an authentic piece of cartographical history.
Our museum quality giclee print comes printed with archival ink on premium heavyweight matte paper. Shipped in a sturdy cardboard tube your print will arrive ready to be framed. This eye-catching vintage map print makes the perfect gift for anyone that loves history and imagery.
- VINTAGE MAP REPRODUCTION: You’ll love this high quality historic reproduction of 1891 Map of Los Angeles California . Our museum quality maps are archival grade, which means it will look great and last without fading for over 100 years. Our print to order maps are made in the USA and each map is inspected for quality. This beautiful artwork is a perfect addition to your themed decor. Vintage maps look great in the home, study or office. They make a perfect gift as well.
- MUSEUM QUALITY: This high quality map print will be a great addition to your vintage-themed wall. Don't waste money on cheap-looking, thin paper posters. We use thick, fine art print quality matte paper. Our professional’s choice matte paper displays artwork in high detail without glare. The color is vibrant and text is easy to read. When framed, this map looks absolutely stunning.
- A LOOK BACK AT HISTORY: This is an impressive, historic reproduction of 1891 Map of Los Angeles California . This print is from an original found in the maps and geography division of the US Library of Congress. A true, accurate piece of history. See our product description section for more fascinating information about this historic map and its significance.
- READY TO FRAME: This 16x24 Inch print includes a 0.2 inch border for a perfect frame fit and look. Our maps are designed to fit easy-to-find standard frame sizes, saving you money from having to pay for a custom frame. Each map is inspected for quality and shipped in a rigid tube.
- HISTORIX: We love history and art. Sometimes old maps have tears, folds, separations and other blemishes. We digitally restore and enhance maps while keeping its historical character. All our maps are proudly made in the USA. Customers all over the world love our vintage maps and we know you will too.