This birds-eye perspective of New York City and Brooklyn, with Jersey City and Hoboken waterfront published in 1892 is a stunning depiction of the iconic American area in a time of great transition, growth, and prosperity. The bustling harbor and busy streets saw immigrants pouring into the city. The five boroughs had yet to be consolidated, and the city was transforming.
Modern steel and glass skyscrapers were introduced to the city in the 1890s, and the development of the modern-day department store had begun as well. By this time, New York had become the number one destination for tourists seeking entertainment, museums, and nightlife. The first of what would come to be known as nightclubs, the Webster Hall, opened in 1886.
1892 also marked the opening of Ellis Island, where the flood of immigrants would start embark on their journey in America. The Statue of Liberty was completed in 1886, becoming an immediately recognizable landmark and part of the new American identity.
Birdseye perspectives were published to allow residents and merchants alike to display their civic pride, and New Yorkers had many reasons to be proud. Produced and illustrated by the prolific Currier & Ives Lithographic company, the distinct aesthetic of these maps immediately transports the viewer back in time. The company had been creating unique images that represented significant moments and places in American History, and this map is no different. New York in the 1890s was a city full of life as immigrants mingled with locals and cultures learned to thrive and evolve into the diverse tapestry recognized today.
Our museum quality giclee print comes printed with archival ink on premium heavyweight matte paper. Shipped in a sturdy cardboard tube your print will arrive ready to be framed. This eye-catching vintage map print makes the perfect gift for anyone that loves history and imagery.
- VINTAGE MAP REPRODUCTION: You’ll love this high quality historic reproduction of 1892 Map of New York and Brooklyn. Our museum quality maps are archival grade, which means it will look great and last without fading for over 100 years. Our print to order maps are made in the USA and each map is inspected for quality. This beautiful artwork is a perfect addition to your themed decor. Vintage maps look great in the home, study or office. They make a perfect gift as well.
- MUSEUM QUALITY: This high quality map print will be a great addition to your vintage-themed wall. Don't waste money on cheap-looking, thin paper posters. We use thick, fine art print quality matte paper. Our professional’s choice matte paper displays artwork in high detail without glare. The color is vibrant and text is easy to read. When framed, this map looks absolutely stunning.
- A LOOK BACK AT HISTORY: This is an impressive, historic reproduction of 1892 Map of New York and Brooklyn. This print is from an original found in the maps and geography division of the US Library of Congress. A true, accurate piece of history. See our product description section for more fascinating information about this historic map and its significance.
- READY TO FRAME: This 18 x 24 Inch print includes a 0.2 inch border for a perfect frame fit and look. Our maps are designed to fit easy-to-find standard frame sizes, saving you money from having to pay for a custom frame. Each map is inspected for quality and shipped in a rigid tube. Shipping is fast and free.
- HISTORIX: We love history and art. Sometimes old maps have tears, folds, separations and other blemishes. We digitally restore and enhance maps while keeping its historical character. All our maps are proudly made in the USA. We stand behind our products with a 100% satisfaction guarantee. Customers all over the world love our vintage maps and we know you will too.