- VINTAGE MAP REPRODUCTION: You’ll love this high quality historic reproduction of 1895 Map of Detroit Michigan. Our museum quality prints are archival grade, which means it will look great and last without fading for over 100 years. Our print to order maps are made in the USA and each map is inspected for quality. This beautiful artwork is a perfect addition to your themed decor. Vintage maps look great in the home, study or office. They make a perfect gift as well.
- MUSEUM QUALITY: This high quality map print will be a great addition to your vintage-themed wall. Don't waste money on cheap-looking, thin paper posters. We use thick, fine art print quality matte paper. Our professional’s choice matte paper displays artwork in high detail without glare. The color is vibrant and text is easy to read. When framed, this map looks absolutely stunning.
- A LOOK BACK AT HISTORY: This is an impressive, historic reproduction of 1895 Detroit City Poster. A true piece of history. See our product description section for more fascinating information about this historic map and its significance.
- READY TO FRAME: This print includes a 0.2 inch border for a perfect frame fit and look. Our maps are designed to fit easy-to-find standard frame sizes, saving you money from having to pay for a custom frame. Each map is inspected for quality and shipped in a rigid tube.
- HISTORIX: We love history and art. Sometimes old maps have tears, folds, separations and other blemishes. We digitally restore and enhance maps while keeping its historical character. All our maps are proudly made in the USA. Customers all over the world love our vintage maps and we know you will too.
Detroit was experiencing a significant period of prosperity, growth, and development during the so-called Gilded Age. By the time of this publication, Detroit’s location had allowed its port to become one of the busiest in the world, and by the early parts of the twentieth century, it exceeded New York by three times in shipping commerce volume. The iconic Midwest city was the second-largest behind Chicago and the fourth largest in the United States. Its proximity to the Lawrence Seaway allowed goods to flow throughout the Midwest, Canada, and the Eastern United States. This period was so prosperous that Detroit became known as the Paris of the West due to its distinctive architecture, grand avenues, and an electric lighting system designed by Thomas Edison himself.
This detailed depiction was produced by one of the most trusted American mapmaking companies of the nineteenth century, Matthews-Northrup, based out of Buffalo, New York. Their works often detailed rail lines and bore a unique aesthetic and classic style that immediately transports the viewer back in time, creating an indelible bond between the past and present.
The city attracted thousands of immigrants from across Europe and America looking for work in the thriving port and steel mills which created a population boom during the late nineteenth century. Immigrants established numerous communities throughout the city along cultural lines, many of which exist to this day. This is truly an authentic piece of American cartographical history that illustrates the grandeur of Detroit in the 1890s.
Our museum quality giclee print comes printed with archival ink on premium heavyweight matte paper. Shipped in a sturdy cardboard tube your print will arrive ready to be framed. This eye-catching vintage map reproduction print makes the perfect gift for anyone that loves history and imagery.