Produced by the prolific mapmaker Rand Mcnally, this railroad and transportation map of Louisiana in 1895 depicts the state in a time of great transition as reconstruction and the turn of the century approached. The Mississippi River had long been a crucial trade route for getting goods into the midwest. The main entry at New Orleans had kept the iconic American city thriving, and the 1890s were no different. People from across the globe came through the city, and its French roots mixed with local Creole culture had developed into a distinct melting pot found nowhere else.
During the Civil War, the capture of the Mississippi by Union forces marked a turning point in the war, and Union victory became apparent due to the significant importance of the river to Confederate forces. The late 20th century saw significant advances in shipbuilding, and the proliferation of locks, levees, and dams along the river started. Much of this engineering occurred to keep the river from shifting into the Atchafalaya River, thus bypassing New Orleans.
The acquisition of Louisiana, as negotiated in 1803, included a vast amount of North American territory. France was engaged in multiple conflicts and needed capital to finance these clashes, allowing the new nation to acquire 828,000 sq mi of land for fifteen million dollars. The purchase would become a pivotal part of the American notion of Manifest Destiny and redefine the geography and geopolitical landscape of America. This map is truly an authentic piece of cartographical history.
Our museum quality giclee print comes printed with archival ink on premium heavyweight matte paper. Shipped in a sturdy cardboard tube your print will arrive ready to be framed. This eye-catching vintage map print makes the perfect gift for anyone that loves history and imagery.
- VINTAGE MAP REPRODUCTION: You’ll love this high quality historic reproduction of 1896 Map of Louisiana . Our museum quality maps are archival grade, which means it will look great and last without fading for over 100 years. Our print to order maps are made in the USA and each map is inspected for quality. This beautiful artwork is a perfect addition to your themed decor. Vintage maps look great in the home, study or office. They make a perfect gift as well.
- MUSEUM QUALITY: This high quality map print will be a great addition to your vintage-themed wall. Don't waste money on cheap-looking, thin paper posters. We use thick, fine art print quality matte paper. Our professional’s choice matte paper displays artwork in high detail without glare. The color is vibrant and text is easy to read. When framed, this map looks absolutely stunning.
- A LOOK BACK AT HISTORY: This is an impressive, historic reproduction of 1896 Map of Louisiana . This print is from an original found in the maps and geography division of the US Library of Congress. A true, accurate piece of history. See our product description section for more fascinating information about this historic map and its significance.
- READY TO FRAME: This 18x24 Inch print includes a 0.2 inch border for a perfect frame fit and look. Our maps are designed to fit easy-to-find standard frame sizes, saving you money from having to pay for a custom frame. Each map is inspected for quality and shipped in a rigid tube.
- HISTORIX: We love history and art. Sometimes old maps have tears, folds, separations and other blemishes. We digitally restore and enhance maps while keeping its historical character. All our maps are proudly made in the USA. Customers all over the world love our vintage maps and we know you will too.