- VINTAGE MAP CANVAS ART: You’ll love this high-quality canvas art reproduction of 1897 Washington DC Map Canvas Art. Our ready-to-hang maps are printed and framed in the USA by professional art framers using the highest quality materials. Each order is inspected for quality. This beautiful artwork is a perfect addition to your themed decor. Vintage maps look great in the home, study or office. They also make an unforgettable gift.
- A LOOK BACK AT HISTORY: This is an impressive, historic reproduction of 1897 Washington DC Wall Map. A true piece of history. Historic prints beautifully link the past with the present. You may find yourself staring at your historic wall art for hours in amazement. See our product description section for more fascinating information about this historic map and its significance.
- QUALITY CANVAS: To display this amazing piece of history, we use museum-quality heavyweight (400gsm), satin/gloss, American made canvas. Our canvas is OBA-free which allows the print to retain its color quality for generations. The canvas displays vintage map art with accurate color reproduction. This high quality canvas print will be a wonderful addition to your vintage-themed wall.
- READY TO HANG: This high-quality canvas wrap wall art displays beautifully in almost any environment. The stretcher bar is made out of kiln-dried poplar wood. This canvas wall art has a 1.5 inch wrap on each side. Our canvas wrap prints are made-to-order in the USA by professional art framers. Frames arrive ready-to-hang, preinstalled with hanging hardware.
- HISTORIC PRINTS: We love history and art. Sometimes old maps have tears, folds, stamps, separations and other blemishes. We digitally restore and enhance maps while keeping its historical character. Customers all over the world love our historic prints and we know you will too.
Perhaps the most iconic city in the United States, Washington, D.C., holds a unique spot in America’s rich history. Published in 1897, this map reflects the city and nation as a whole in a time of great transition. Tensions between the North and South were easing following the reconstruction period after the Civil War, and President McKinley’s State of the union this year served as a fervent reminder that the nation needed unity and cooperation to move forward as the 19th century came to a close.
Published by prominent mapmaker and newspaper magnate George E. Matthews, this depiction is unique as it employed his patented ‘prism’ print process, which used a four-color printing technique that superseded the previous three-color method. This stunning illustration immediately transports the viewer back in time and is truly an authentic price of cartographical History.
Washington DC was in a period of great transition in the late 19th century, and the densely populated city was bustling with government workers traveling to outlying suburbs by motorized streetcars. The city was one of the first to undertake urban renewal projects in the early 1900s, with the ‘City Beautiful’ movement establishing a trend for other communities throughout the nation to build parks and other open-air spaces to develop a sense of beauty and monumental grandeur. With increased federal spending under the New Deal in the 1930s, Washington DC would see the construction of many of its monuments to the greatest leaders in American History.
Our ready-to-hang canvas wall art prints are made in the USA using the highest quality materials with professional craftsmanship. This beautiful artwork is a perfect addition to your themed decor. Historic prints look great in the home, study or office. They also make an unforgettable gift.