- VINTAGE MAP REPRODUCTION: You’ll love this high quality historic reproduction of 1897 Map of Washington DC. Our museum quality maps are archival grade, which means it will look great and last without fading for over 100 years. Our print to order maps are made in the USA and each map is inspected for quality. This beautiful artwork is a perfect addition to your themed decor. Vintage maps look great in the home, study or office. They make a perfect gift as well.
- MUSEUM QUALITY: This high quality map print will be a great addition to your vintage-themed wall. Don't waste money on cheap-looking, thin paper posters. We use thick, fine art print quality matte paper. Our professional’s choice matte paper displays artwork in high detail without glare. The color is vibrant and text is easy to read. When framed, this map looks absolutely stunning.
- A LOOK BACK AT HISTORY: This is an impressive, historic reproduction of 1897 Map of Washington DC. This print is from an original found in the maps and geography division of the US Library of Congress. A true piece of history. See our product description section for more fascinating information about this historic map and its significance.
- READY TO FRAME: This print includes a 0.2 inch border for a perfect frame fit and look. Our maps are designed to fit easy-to-find standard frame sizes, saving you money from having to pay for a custom frame. Each map is inspected for quality and shipped in a rigid tube.
- HISTORIX: We love history and art. Sometimes old maps have tears, folds, separations and other blemishes. We digitally restore and enhance maps while keeping its historical character. All our maps are proudly made in the USA. Customers all over the world love our vintage maps and we know you will too.
Perhaps the most iconic city in the United States, Washington, D.C., holds a unique spot in America’s rich history. Published in 1897, this map reflects the city and nation as a whole in a time of great transition. Tensions between the North and South were easing following the reconstruction period after the Civil War, and President McKinley’s State of the union this year served as a fervent reminder that the nation needed unity and cooperation to move forward as the 19th century came to a close.
Published by prominent mapmaker and newspaper magnate George E. Matthews, this depiction is unique as it employed his patented ‘prism’ print process, which used a four-color printing technique that superseded the previous three-color method. This stunning illustration immediately transports the viewer back in time and is truly an authentic price of cartographical History.
Washington DC was in a period of great transition in the late 19th century, and the densely populated city was bustling with government workers traveling to outlying suburbs by motorized streetcars. The city was one of the first to undertake urban renewal projects in the early 1900s, with the ‘City Beautiful’ movement establishing a trend for other communities throughout the nation to build parks and other open-air spaces to develop a sense of beauty and monumental grandeur. With increased federal spending under the New Deal in the 1930s, Washington DC would see the construction of many of its monuments to the greatest leaders in American History.
Our museum quality giclee Washington DC wall art comes printed with archival ink on premium heavyweight matte paper. Shipped in a sturdy cardboard tube your Washington DC artwork will arrive ready to be framed. This eye-catching vintage map reproduction print makes the perfect gift for anyone that loves history and imagery.