- VINTAGE MAP REPRODUCTION: You’ll love this high quality historic reproduction of 1902 Chicago Map Wall Art. Our museum quality maps are archival grade, which means it will look great and last without fading for over 100 years. Our print to order maps are made in the USA and each map is inspected for quality. This beautiful artwork is a perfect addition to your themed decor. Vintage maps look great in the home, study or office. They make a perfect gift as well.
- MUSEUM QUALITY: This high quality map print will be a great addition to your vintage-themed wall. Don't waste money on cheap-looking, thin paper posters. We use thick, fine art print quality matte paper. Our professional’s choice matte paper displays artwork in high detail without glare. The color is vibrant and text is easy to read. When framed, this map looks absolutely stunning.
- A LOOK BACK AT HISTORY: This is an impressive, historic reproduction of 1902 Chicago Map Wall Art. This print is from an original found in the maps and geography division of the US Library of Congress. A true piece of history. See our product description section for more fascinating information about this historic map and its significance.
- READY TO FRAME: This print includes a 0.2 inch border for a perfect frame fit and look. Our maps are designed to fit easy-to-find standard frame sizes, saving you money from having to pay for a custom frame. Each map is inspected for quality and shipped in a rigid tube.
- HISTORIX: We love history and art. Sometimes old maps have tears, folds, separations and other blemishes. We digitally restore and enhance maps while keeping its historical character. All our maps are proudly made in the USA. Customers all over the world love our vintage maps and we know you will too.
Produced by prominent American businessman George Herbert Walker, this depiction of Chicago's famed North-Western line brings life to the storied railway, which had become an integral part of the iconic American cities' prosperity and growth. Established in 1859, the railway had allowed Chicago to become a central hub of the Midwest, importing and moving good throughout the nation while attracting many residents as industrialization created economic opportunities for eager workers.
The cities population had grown to nearly two million by 1900, and immigrants had flocked to the city to pursue new lives following famine and social unrest in much of Western Europe. These communities established many neighborhoods in Chicago and would come to define much of the cities rich cultural heritage.
By 1902, when this map was produced and published, the lines had changed names and expanded significantly, facilitating the need for this panoramic depiction. These illustrations, often referred to as Birds Eye perspectives, take liberties with scale and were created as marketing pieces to be displayed by prominent businesses and residents alike. The unique aesthetic used to create these maps is immediately recognized and transports the viewer back in time.
Chicago at the turn of the century was in a significant period of transition, and these railway terminals were a primary driver of new economic opportunity and expansion. As the city rushed towards modernity, many of its old-world traditions remained, and this combination still permeates today. Chicago endures as one of the truly iconic American cities.
Our museum quality giclee print comes printed with archival ink on premium heavyweight matte paper. Shipped in a sturdy cardboard tube your Chicago artwork print will arrive ready to be framed. This eye-catching poster Chicago vintage map reproduction print makes the perfect gift for anyone that loves history and imagery.