This distinctive Birds Eye perspective of Pittsburg in 1902 shows the city in a time of great transition, growth, and prosperity. Published one year after J.P. Morgan and Elbert Gary merged their steel interests into US Steel, this depiction shows Pittsburgh proud, producing nearly half of all steel produced in the United States, the city was rapidly expanding and by 1910 was the eighth-largest city in America. The Civil War, a quarter of a century earlier, had allowed the steel mills to thrive and set it up for a prosperous future heading into the twentieth century.
Birds Eye perspectives were produced to entice tourists and new residents alike by promoting notable landmarks and prominent buildings and residents. Pittsburgh, in this time, had a great deal of civic pride and was becoming a significant economic powerhouse fueled by steel production. The railroad lines made the city a major hub, and millions of dollars of goods also came through the bustling ports on the Pittsburg River.
This perspective was produced by TM Fowler, who was one of the most prolific American producers of bird's eye perspectives. Fowler's illustrations were very popular with Americans in the late 19th century though the early twentieth. His work mainly focused on Pennsylvania, and he is considered the most prolific mapmaker of the state. Yale University, Pennsylvania State University, and the Boston Public Library all hold Fowler's work in their archives. This distinctive illustration is truly an authentic piece of cartographical history.
Our museum quality giclee print comes printed with archival ink on premium heavyweight matte paper. Shipped in a sturdy cardboard tube your print will arrive ready to be framed. This eye-catching vintage map reproduction print makes the perfect gift for anyone that loves history and imagery.
- VINTAGE MAP REPRODUCTION: You’ll love this high quality historic reproduction of 1902 Pittsburgh Pennsylvania Map Poster . Our museum quality maps are archival grade, which means it will look great and last without fading for over 100 years. Our print to order maps are made in the USA and each map is inspected for quality. This beautiful artwork is a perfect addition to your themed decor. Vintage maps look great in the home, study or office. They make a perfect gift as well.
- MUSEUM QUALITY: This high quality map print will be a great addition to your vintage-themed wall. Don't waste money on cheap-looking, thin paper posters. We use thick, fine art print quality matte paper. Our professional’s choice matte paper displays artwork in high detail without glare. The color is vibrant and text is easy to read. When framed, this map looks absolutely stunning.
- A LOOK BACK AT HISTORY: This is an impressive, historic reproduction of 1902 Pittsburgh Pennsylvania Map Poster . This print is from an original found in the maps and geography division of the US Library of Congress. A true, accurate piece of history. See our product description section for more fascinating information about this historic map and its significance.
- READY TO FRAME: This 18x24 Inch print includes a 0.2 inch border for a perfect frame fit and look. Our maps are designed to fit easy-to-find standard frame sizes, saving you money from having to pay for a custom frame. Each map is inspected for quality and shipped in a rigid tube.
- HISTORIX: We love history and art. Sometimes old maps have tears, folds, separations and other blemishes. We digitally restore and enhance maps while keeping its historical character. All our maps are proudly made in the USA. Customers all over the world love our vintage maps and we know you will too.