Uniquely illustrated with a more modern aesthetic as a one-off map by E. Koppe, this bird's eye view of Salem, Oregon, is a visually stunning piece of cartographical history. With full inserts of the Marion Courthouse and the State House of Oregon, this depiction of the capital city transports a viewer back in time.
Located in the center of the Willamette Valley, Salem is bisected by the 45th parallel, the halfway point between the Equator and the North Pole. Salem's domestic economy has always relied heavily on agriculture. The Willamette River forms the boundary between Marion and Polk counties and is also responsible for the fertile alluvial soil in the plain. Due to the richness of the land, Salem was a frequent destination for enterprising farmers. It was advertised as the "Land of Milk and Honey," throughout the nineteenth century as settlers moved northwest on the Oregon Trail. In this perspective map, the peak of Mt Hood can be seen as a backdrop for the numerous fields and farmhouses.
While Koppe's illustration lacks the high level of detail often associated with bird's eye view productions, his unique style gives the viewer a sense of the history of the region and its flora and fauna equally. Interestingly, his edition lacks the typical directory of local businesses or prominent merchant's homes, indicating that this edition was produced for less commercial purposes. Little is known of Koppe, and this appears to be his only illustration of a map; a truly distinctive piece of cartographical history.
Our museum quality giclee print comes printed with archival ink on premium heavyweight matte paper. Shipped in a sturdy cardboard tube your print will arrive ready to be framed. This eye-catching print makes the perfect gift for anyone that loves history and imagery.
- VINTAGE MAP REPRODUCTION: You’ll love this high quality historic reproduction of 1905 Map of Salem Oregon . Our museum quality maps are archival grade, which means it will look great and last without fading for over 100 years. Our print to order maps are made in the USA and each map is inspected for quality. This beautiful artwork is a perfect addition to your themed decor. Vintage maps look great in the home, study or office. They make a perfect gift as well.
- MUSEUM QUALITY: This high quality map print will be a great addition to your vintage-themed wall. Don't waste money on cheap-looking, thin paper posters. We use thick, fine art print quality matte paper. Our professional’s choice matte paper displays artwork in high detail without glare. The color is vibrant and text is easy to read. When framed, this map looks absolutely stunning.
- A LOOK BACK AT HISTORY: This is an impressive, historic reproduction of 1905 Map of Salem Oregon . This print is from an original found in the maps and geography division of the US Library of Congress. A true, accurate piece of history. See our product description section for more fascinating information about this historic map and its significance.
- READY TO FRAME: This 18x24 Inch print includes a 0.2 inch border for a perfect frame fit and look. Our maps are designed to fit easy-to-find standard frame sizes, saving you money from having to pay for a custom frame. Each map is inspected for quality and shipped in a rigid tube.
- HISTORIX: We love history and art. Sometimes old maps have tears, folds, separations and other blemishes. We digitally restore and enhance maps while keeping its historical character. All our maps are proudly made in the USA. Customers all over the world love our vintage maps and we know you will too.