- VINTAGE MAP REPRODUCTION: You’ll love this high quality historic reproduction of 1909 Map of Los Angeles California with Index. Our museum quality maps are archival grade, which means it will look great and last without fading for over 100 years. Our print to order maps are made in the USA and each map is inspected for quality. This beautiful artwork is a perfect addition to your themed decor. Vintage maps look great in the home, study or office. They make a perfect gift as well.
- MUSEUM QUALITY: This high quality map print will be a great addition to your vintage-themed wall. Don't waste money on cheap-looking, thin paper posters. We use thick, fine art print quality matte paper. Our professional’s choice matte paper displays artwork in high detail without glare. The color is vibrant and text is easy to read. When framed, this map looks absolutely stunning.
- A LOOK BACK AT HISTORY: This is an impressive, historic reproduction of 1909 Map of Los Angeles California with Index. This print is from an original found in the maps and geography division of the US Library of Congress. A true piece of history. See our product description section for more fascinating information about this historic map and its significance.
- READY TO FRAME: This print includes a 0.2 inch border for a perfect frame fit and look. Our maps are designed to fit easy-to-find standard frame sizes, saving you money from having to pay for a custom frame. Each map is inspected for quality and shipped in a rigid tube.
- HISTORIX: We love history and art. Sometimes old maps have tears, folds, separations and other blemishes. We digitally restore and enhance maps while keeping its historical character. All our maps are proudly made in the USA. Customers all over the world love our vintage maps and we know you will too.
Published in 1909, this bird's eye perspective depicts the great city of Los Angeles in a period of prosperity and expansion. Oil drilling had become the primary economic driver for the city, though the surrounding areas still thrived with farming and ranching. Edward Doheny's discovery of oil in 1892 had caused the city population to explode and, by this time, was well over one hundred thousand. The consistently fair weather and work opportunities had people flocking to Los Angeles from around the globe and created the diverse melting pot that endures today.
Oil baron JP Getty called the city home, and his contributions to the arts have become permanent fixtures and iconic spaces from the Getty Museum to the Getty Villa. His philanthropic trust remained the largest art endowment in the world and was established in 1953. Griffith Park was established three years after this map and is a truly iconic fixture in the culture of Los Angeles.
The first feature film to be produced in Los Angeles, The Count of Monte Cristo, was completed in 1909, laying the groundwork for what would become the cities second great industry. The Selig Polyscope Company established the first permanent film studio in this year as well.
This indexed map illustrates the local economy by detailing all merchants, businesses, and civic buildings detailing just how prosperous the city had become. These bird's eye perspectives were created for residents and merchants alike to display their civic pride, and the distinctive aesthetic immediately transports the viewer back in time.
Our museum quality giclee print comes printed with archival ink on premium heavyweight matte paper. Shipped in a sturdy cardboard tube your print will arrive ready to be framed. This eye-catching vintage map print makes the perfect gift for anyone that loves history and imagery.