Etched into American history, Provincetown, Massachusetts, is the first landing site of the Pilgrims and where the original Mayflower compact was drafted. The safety of the natural harbor allowed their landing after two days of attempts at sailing further south were halted due to intense storms and surging seas. This historic moment was dedicated with the construction of the Pilgrim Tower, which was completed in the same year as the publication of this bird?s eye perspective. President Theodore Roosevelt laid the cornerstone for the monument in 1908.
These maps were produced to allow merchants and residents to display their civic pride, and the tower stands proudly in the center. This depiction shows the importance of the harbor by presenting it in the foreground in an uncommon east to west perspective, making this an authentic piece of cartographical history.
Provincetown?s deep harbor with protection from open Atlantic ocean swells was considered the best on the Eastern seaboard and allowed the local economy to thrive with a robust commercial fishing community fostered by the arrival of Portuguese sailors from the Azores. Following the American Revolution, the city became a vital part of the whaling industry, and that heritage is still celebrated today. By the early 20th century, the local culture had become a diverse mix of artists, writers, and commercial fishermen. At the extreme tip of Cape Cod, Provincetown also became a popular destination for summer tourists. The first ferry between Boston and Provincetown, the Dorothy Bradford, was established in 1910 and allowed tourists more comfortable access.
Our museum quality giclee print comes printed with archival ink on premium heavyweight matte paper. Shipped in a sturdy cardboard tube your print will arrive ready to be framed. This eye-catching vintage Provincetown map poster makes the perfect gift for anyone that loves history and imagery.
- VINTAGE MAP REPRODUCTION: You’ll love this high quality historic reproduction of 1910 Map of Provincetown Massachusetts . Our museum quality maps are archival grade, which means it will look great and last without fading for over 100 years. Our print to order maps are made in the USA and each map is inspected for quality. This beautiful artwork is a perfect addition to your themed decor. Vintage maps look great in the home, study or office. They make a perfect gift as well.
- MUSEUM QUALITY: This high quality map print will be a great addition to your vintage-themed wall. Don't waste money on cheap-looking, thin paper posters. We use thick, fine art print quality matte paper. Our professional’s choice matte paper displays artwork in high detail without glare. The color is vibrant and text is easy to read. When framed, this map looks absolutely stunning.
- A LOOK BACK AT HISTORY: This is an impressive, historic reproduction of 1910 Map of Provincetown Massachusetts . This print is from an original found in the maps and geography division of the US Library of Congress. A true, accurate piece of history. See our product description section for more fascinating information about this historic map and its significance.
- READY TO FRAME: This 16x24 Inch print includes a 0.2 inch border for a perfect frame fit and look. Our maps are designed to fit easy-to-find standard frame sizes, saving you money from having to pay for a custom frame. Each map is inspected for quality and shipped in a rigid tube.
- HISTORIX: We love history and art. Sometimes old maps have tears, folds, separations and other blemishes. We digitally restore and enhance maps while keeping its historical character. All our maps are proudly made in the USA. Customers all over the world love our vintage maps and we know you will too.