- VINTAGE MAP CANVAS ART: You’ll love this high-quality canvas art reproduction of 1946 United States Map Canvas. Our ready-to-hang maps are printed and framed in the USA by professional art framers using the highest quality materials. Each order is inspected for quality. This beautiful artwork is a perfect addition to your themed decor. Vintage maps look great in the home, study or office. They also make an unforgettable gift.
- A LOOK BACK AT HISTORY: This is an impressive, historic reproduction of 1946 United States Map Poster. A true piece of history. Historic prints beautifully link the past with the present. You may find yourself staring at your historic wall art for hours in amazement. See our product description section for more fascinating information about this historic map and its significance.
- QUALITY CANVAS: To display this amazing piece of history, we use museum-quality heavyweight (400gsm), satin/gloss, American made canvas. Our canvas is OBA-free which allows the print to retain its color quality for generations. The canvas displays vintage map art with accurate color reproduction. This high quality canvas print will be a wonderful addition to your vintage-themed wall.
- READY TO HANG: This high-quality canvas wrap wall art displays beautifully in almost any environment. The stretcher bar is made out of kiln-dried poplar wood. This canvas wall art has a 1.5 inch wrap on each side. Our canvas wrap prints are made-to-order in the USA by professional art framers. Frames arrive ready-to-hang, preinstalled with hanging hardware.
- HISTORIC PRINTS: We love history and art. Sometimes old maps have tears, folds, stamps, separations and other blemishes. We digitally restore and enhance maps while keeping its historical character. Customers all over the world love our historic prints and we know you will too.
This rare and iconic piece of Early Americana art and Folklore was produced by prominent American artist William Gropper. The lively illustration combines oral and written American folktales to weave a tapestry of the history and traditions of early twenties century American life. Gropper was a noted cartoonist, lithographer, painter, and illustrator whose depictions are immediately recognizable. Even American President Franklin D. Roosevelt expressed praise for Gropper’s work and contribution following the war.
Published just one year following the end of World War II, America found itself in a time of peace, prosperity, and growth as returning GI’s entered the labor force and started families. The war had changed American culture, and the shift from more traditional agricultural lifestyles towards urban and suburban communities was in full swing. As these communities developed, Americans yearned for depictions of life in earlier times, and Gropper’s illustration provided a whimsical look at popular American Folklore.
Pictorial maps were produced to evoke emotions not as realistic depictions, and Gropper’s use of regional idiosyncrasies was at play in this illustration. Upon its original release, this map was accompanied by a 16-page book that detailed each of the folkloric heroes and their backstories. All in all, Gropper’s illustration contains sixty-one American Folk heroes. This map was produced in part as a cultural export with the State Department distributing nearly 1,750 copies to promote America and its culture. This rare map’s distinctive aesthetic and unique depiction makes it an authentic piece of American cartographical history.
Our ready-to-hang canvas wall art prints are made in the USA using the highest quality materials with professional craftsmanship. This beautiful artwork is a perfect addition to your themed decor. Historic prints look great in the home, study or office.