- VINTAGE MAP REPRODUCTION: You’ll love this high quality historic reproduction of 1946 Map of America and its Folklore. Our museum quality maps are archival grade, which means it will look great and last without fading for over 100 years. Our print to order maps are made in the USA and each map is inspected for quality. This beautiful artwork is a perfect addition to your themed decor. Vintage maps look great in the home, study or office. They make a perfect gift as well.
- MUSEUM QUALITY: This high quality map print will be a great addition to your vintage-themed wall. Don't waste money on cheap-looking, thin paper posters. We use thick, fine art print quality matte paper. Our professional’s choice matte paper displays artwork in high detail without glare. The color is vibrant and the text is easy to read. When framed, this map looks absolutely stunning.
- A LOOK BACK AT HISTORY: This is an impressive, historic reproduction of 1946 Map of America and its Folklore. This print is from an original found in the maps and geography division of the US Library of Congress. A true piece of history. See our product description section for more fascinating information about this historic map and its significance.
- READY TO FRAME: This print includes a 0.2 inch border for a perfect frame fit and look. Our maps are designed to fit easy-to-find standard frame sizes, saving you money from having to pay for a custom frame. Each map is inspected for quality and shipped in a rigid tube.
- HISTORIX: We love history and art. Sometimes old maps have tears, folds, separations and other blemishes. We digitally restore and enhance maps while keeping its historical character. All our maps are proudly made in the USA. Customers all over the world love our vintage maps and we know you will too.
This rare and iconic piece of Early Americana art and Folklore was produced by prominent American artist William Gropper. The lively illustration combines oral and written American folktales to weave a tapestry of the history and traditions of early twenties century American life. Gropper was a noted cartoonist, lithographer, painter, and illustrator whose depictions are immediately recognizable. Even American President Franklin D. Roosevelt expressed praise for Gropper’s work and contribution following the war.
Published just one year following the end of World War II, America found itself in a time of peace, prosperity, and growth as returning GI’s entered the labor force and started families. The war had changed American culture, and the shift from more traditional agricultural lifestyles towards urban and suburban communities was in full swing. As these communities developed, Americans yearned for depictions of life in earlier times, and Gropper’s illustration provided a whimsical look at popular American Folklore.
Pictorial maps were produced to evoke emotions not as realistic depictions, and Gropper’s use of regional idiosyncrasies was at play in this illustration. Upon its original release, this map was accompanied by a 16-page book that detailed each of the folkloric heroes and their backstories. All in all, Gropper’s illustration contains sixty-one American Folk heroes. This map was produced in part as a cultural export with the State Department distributing nearly 1,750 copies to promote America and its culture. This rare map’s distinctive aesthetic and unique depiction makes it an authentic piece of American cartographical history.
Our museum quality giclee print comes printed with archival ink on premium heavyweight matte paper. This eye-catching vintage map of United States reproduction print makes the perfect gift for anyone that loves history and imagery.