The Spanish settlers of California began construction missions in 1769 from San Diego north to Sonoma for nearly sixty years. Their enduring architectural legacy stands as one of the deep cultural landmarks of California's rich history. The signature red tile roofs and whitewashed walls make these missions uniform aesthetically, and they were constructed approximately thirty miles apart, which was roughly a day's journey by horseback. The iconic Mission Bells also make these grand structures stand out.
Published with both the mission trail as well as each of the twenty-one missions detailed on the insets, this map allows the viewer to develop a complete mental image of the significance and accomplishment that the completion of this undertaking meant to the Spanish missionaries and their acolyte's.
Compiled and illustrated by noted American geologist William Newman this depiction also details the significance of Spanish Friar Miguel Jose Serra, who founded and oversaw the construction of the first nine missions. Serra was beatified in 1988 and canonized in 2015 for his missionary efforts throughout Spanish territories.
The Missions Trail is famous among religious tourists as well as fans of historic structures and architecture and follows the original Camino Real, which is located near present-day Highway 101. These missions still operate today with tours as well as Mass conducted each Sunday by Franciscan friars and provide An indelible link to the past. The distinctive aesthetic of this map immediately transports the viewer back in time and is truly an authentic piece of cartographical history.
Our museum quality giclee print comes printed with archival ink on premium heavyweight matte paper. Shipped in a sturdy cardboard tube your print will arrive ready to be framed. This eye-catching vintage map reproduction print makes the perfect gift for anyone that loves history and imagery.
- VINTAGE MAP REPRODUCTION: You’ll love this high quality historic reproduction of 1949 California Missions Trail Map . Our museum quality maps are archival grade, which means it will look great and last without fading for over 100 years. Our print to order maps are made in the USA and each map is inspected for quality. This beautiful artwork is a perfect addition to your themed decor. Vintage maps look great in the home, study or office. They make a perfect gift as well.
- MUSEUM QUALITY: This high quality map print will be a great addition to your vintage-themed wall. Don't waste money on cheap-looking, thin paper posters. We use thick, fine art print quality matte paper. Our professional’s choice matte paper displays artwork in high detail without glare. The color is vibrant and text is easy to read. When framed, this map looks absolutely stunning.
- A LOOK BACK AT HISTORY: This is an impressive, historic reproduction of 1949 California Missions Trail Map . This print is from an original found in the maps and geography division of the US Library of Congress. A true, accurate piece of history. See our product description section for more fascinating information about this historic map and its significance.
- READY TO FRAME: This 18x24 Inch print includes a 0.2 inch border for a perfect frame fit and look. Our maps are designed to fit easy-to-find standard frame sizes, saving you money from having to pay for a custom frame. Each map is inspected for quality and shipped in a rigid tube.
- HISTORIX: We love history and art. Sometimes old maps have tears, folds, separations and other blemishes. We digitally restore and enhance maps while keeping its historical character. All our maps are proudly made in the USA. Customers all over the world love our vintage maps and we know you will too.