Comprised of 20 countries and 14 territories, including the Caribbean, Latin America has a rich history and is home to many distinct cultures. The earliest known settlement is in modern-day Chile and was occupied some 14,000 years ago, though there is debate about civilizations’ existence even before that.
Following Christopher Columbus’ discovery of the West Indies in 1493, European Colonization started in Latin America produced exports bound for Europe. Spain and Portugal were the first countries to colonize the region. Still, by the end of the sixteenth century, other countries had joined, and territory was occupied from Alaska to the southern tip of Patagonia.
American President James Monroe dictates that European Colonization must come to an end in his 1823 speech to congress, now referred to as the Monroe Doctrine. In 1865 after the American Civil War, the doctrine was put into effect to assist Mexican Presidential candidate Benito Juarez with military and diplomatic efforts.
Modern-day Latin America is a vibrant melting pot that blends indigenous culture with European influences and is one of the most diverse regions in the world. The term Latin America was established in 1865 at the Initiative of the America’s conference.
Construction of the Panama Canal began in 1881, and the feat of civil engineering allowed trade routes between the Atlantic and Pacific to thrive with access being much more accessible than navigating through the Drake Passage. Produced to depict geopolitical boundaries, this map illustrates the varied cultures throughout Latin America.
Our museum quality giclee print comes printed with archival ink on premium heavyweight matte paper. Shipped in a sturdy cardboard tube your print will arrive ready to be framed. This eye-catching map print makes the perfect gift for anyone that loves history and imagery.
- VINTAGE MAP REPRODUCTION: You’ll love this high quality historic reproduction of 2006 Latin America Map Poster . Our museum quality maps are archival grade, which means it will look great and last without fading for over 100 years. Our print to order maps are made in the USA and each map is inspected for quality. This beautiful artwork is a perfect addition to your themed decor. Vintage maps look great in the home, study or office. They make a perfect gift as well.
- MUSEUM QUALITY: This high quality map print will be a great addition to your vintage-themed wall. Don't waste money on cheap-looking, thin paper posters. We use thick, fine art print quality matte paper. Our professional’s choice matte paper displays artwork in high detail without glare. The color is vibrant and text is easy to read. When framed, this map looks absolutely stunning.
- A LOOK BACK AT HISTORY: This is an impressive, historic reproduction of 2006 Latin America Map Poster . This print is from an original found in the maps and geography division of the US Library of Congress. A true, accurate piece of history. See our product description section for more fascinating information about this historic map and its significance.
- READY TO FRAME: This 20x24 Inch print includes a 0.2 inch border for a perfect frame fit and look. Our maps are designed to fit easy-to-find standard frame sizes, saving you money from having to pay for a custom frame. Each map is inspected for quality and shipped in a rigid tube.
- HISTORIX: We love history and art. Sometimes old maps have tears, folds, separations and other blemishes. We digitally restore and enhance maps while keeping its historical character. All our maps are proudly made in the USA. Customers all over the world love our vintage maps and we know you will too.