Created by one of the most prominent and prolific cartographers of the eighteenth century, John Senex, this stunning depiction of Africa in 1725 bears a striking detail and unique aesthetic that immediately transports the viewer back in time, creating a link between the past and the present. Senex was the official geographer to Queen Anne of Britain and created the world's first pocket-sized map. As one of the eighteenth-century principal cartographers, his remarkable accuracy and detail set this map apart from other works of the time. Senex was elected into the Royal Society of London in 1728.
European explorers had come to Africa as early as the fifteenth century, and by 1725 colonizers from Europe were arriving and establishing boundaries that would define the continent's geopolitics for the next two centuries. Senex's work served as one of the most detailed and accurate maps, which became invaluable tools for British expeditions during this time. Trading posts had long been established in Africa's coastal regions, and these markets bustled with European traders from the North, Chinese merchants from the East, and Arabian traders.
One interesting feature of this map is that it defines nearly every region, which depictions even into the 1800s often left unlabeled. Exploration and colonization of Africa would occur for the bulk of the eighteenth and nineteenth centuries. This rare production is truly an authentic piece of cartographical history. It stands as a distinctive artifact of the rich history of both Africa and Britain.
Our museum quality giclee print comes printed with archival ink on premium heavyweight matte paper. Shipped in a sturdy cardboard tube your print will arrive ready to be framed. This eye-catching vintage map reproduction print makes the perfect gift for anyone that loves history and imagery.
- VINTAGE MAP REPRODUCTION: You’ll love this high quality historic reproduction of 1725 Africa Map. Our museum quality maps are archival grade, which means it will look great and last without fading for over 100 years. Our print to order maps are made in the USA and each map is inspected for quality. This beautiful artwork is a perfect addition to your themed decor. Vintage maps look great in the home, study or office. They make a perfect gift as well.
- MUSEUM QUALITY: This high quality map print will be a great addition to your vintage-themed wall. Don't waste money on cheap-looking, thin paper posters. We use thick, fine art print quality matte paper. Our professional’s choice matte paper displays artwork in high detail without glare. The color is vibrant and text is easy to read. When framed, this map looks absolutely stunning.
- A LOOK BACK AT HISTORY: This is an impressive, historic reproduction of 1725 Vintage Map of Africa Wall Art. This print is from an original found in the maps and geography division of the US Library of Congress. A true piece of history. See our product description section for more fascinating information about this historic map and its significance.
- READY TO FRAME: This 24 x 36 Inch print includes a 0.2 inch border for a perfect frame fit and look. Our maps are designed to fit easy-to-find standard frame sizes, saving you money from having to pay for a custom frame. Each map is inspected for quality and shipped in a rigid tube.
- HISTORIX: We love history and art. Sometimes old maps have tears, folds, separations and other blemishes. We digitally restore and enhance maps while keeping its historical character. All our maps are proudly made in the USA. Customers all over the world love our vintage maps and we know you will too.