Produced by noted British engraver and cartographer John J. Gibson, this rare depiction of the American Colonies published in 1763 immediately transports the viewer back in time, creating an indelible link between the past and the present. Gibson, who was famous for his 1758 publication of his pocket atlas, Atlas Minimus, is recognized as one of the most important early American cartographers.
The first successful community was established in Jamestown in what is present-day Virginia near the Chesapeake Bay. But by the later portions of the 18th century, the Colonies had grown embittered towards English rule, and the roots of the American Revolution were being established. Published some twelve years before the outbreak of the Revolution, this map shows the colonies in a period of prosperity and growth. The Revolution would last for more than a decade and would serve as the inspiration for democratic governance across Europe.
This map was created for Gentleman’s Magazine, which was published monthly in London uninterrupted from 1731 to 1922. Though this map only extends to the Rocky Mountains in the West, it was one of the most complete productions of the era.
The Colonies in the years leading up to the Revolution were growing dissatisfied with British taxation and supreme authority. Rumors of Revolution were spreading throughout the colonies, and acts of outright rebellion caused growing tensions between colonists and the British military and government. By 1763 the Colonies had long-established towns and cities, and this engraving is an authentic piece of American cartographical history.
Our museum quality giclee print comes printed with archival ink on premium heavyweight matte paper. Shipped in a sturdy cardboard tube your print will arrive ready to be framed. This eye-catching vintage map reproduction print makes the perfect gift for anyone that loves history and imagery.
- VINTAGE MAP REPRODUCTION: You’ll love this high quality historic reproduction of 1763 Colonial America Map. Our museum quality maps are archival grade, which means it will look great and last without fading for over 100 years. Our print to order maps are made in the USA and each map is inspected for quality. This beautiful artwork is a perfect addition to your themed decor. Vintage maps look great in the home, study or office. They make a perfect gift as well.
- MUSEUM QUALITY: This high quality map print will be a great addition to your vintage-themed wall. Don't waste money on cheap-looking, thin paper posters. We use thick, fine art print quality matte paper. Our professional’s choice matte paper displays artwork in high detail without glare. The color is vibrant and text is easy to read. When framed, this map looks absolutely stunning.
- A LOOK BACK AT HISTORY: This is an impressive, historic reproduction of 1763 Map of Colonial America. This print is from an original found in the maps and geography division of the US Library of Congress. A true piece of history. See our product description section for more fascinating information about this historic map and its significance.
- READY TO FRAME: This 18 x 24 Inch print includes a 0.2 inch border for a perfect frame fit and look. Our maps are designed to fit easy-to-find standard frame sizes, saving you money from having to pay for a custom frame. Each map is inspected for quality and shipped in a rigid tube.
- HISTORIX: We love history and art. Sometimes old maps have tears, folds, separations and other blemishes. We digitally restore and enhance maps while keeping its historical character. All our maps are proudly made in the USA. Customers all over the world love our vintage maps and we know you will too.