The American War for Independence proved a grueling struggle that tested the will and resolve of a fledgling nation and the empire it broke from. The British government, stalled in the revolutionary fervent New England despite initial successes, turned to the more Loyalist south in order to defeat the Americans.
A key part of the British southern campaign involved the capture of Charleston, South Carolina. The future state?s capital was one of the largest cities in the southern colonies. The Siege of Charleston of 1780 lasted nearly two months and proved one of the most devastating defeats for the Continental Army in the southern theater. Many American commanders died, and Charleston fell to the British on May 12.
This map records the layout of British units during the Siege. The original printing is believed to date to the siege itself and appears designed to commemorate a pivotal victory for the British. The detail of siege works and the Army layout are clearly marked despite the limited coloration of the map itself. With this map you can follow the siege as the British achieve their pivotal victory against the Continental forces and their French allies.
Though a debilitating defeat in the short term, it would not take long for the Americans to rally. Thanks in large part to their French allies and successes further north, the American cause would continue to fight and eventually succeed.
Our museum quality giclee print comes printed with archival ink on premium heavyweight matte paper. Shipped in a sturdy cardboard tube your Charleston Map Print will arrive ready to be framed. This eye-catching print makes the perfect gift for anyone that loves history and imagery.
- VINTAGE MAP REPRODUCTION: You’ll love this high quality historic reproduction of 1780 Map of the Investiture of Charleston South Carolina. Our museum quality maps are archival grade, which means it will look great and last without fading for over 100 years. Our print to order maps are made in the USA and each map is inspected for quality. This beautiful artwork is a perfect addition to your themed decor. Vintage maps look great in the home, study or office. They make a perfect gift as well.
- MUSEUM QUALITY: This high quality map print will be a great addition to your vintage-themed wall. Don't waste money on cheap-looking, thin paper posters. We use thick, fine art print quality matte paper. Our professional’s choice matte paper displays artwork in high detail without glare. The color is vibrant and text is easy to read. When framed, this map looks absolutely stunning.
- A LOOK BACK AT HISTORY: This is an impressive, historic reproduction of 1780 Map of the Investiture of Charleston South Carolina. This print is from an original found in the maps and geography division of the US Library of Congress. A true, accurate piece of history. See our product description section for more fascinating information about this historic map and its significance.
- READY TO FRAME: This 18x24 Inch print includes a 0.2 inch border for a perfect frame fit and look. Our maps are designed to fit easy-to-find standard frame sizes, saving you money from having to pay for a custom frame. Each map is inspected for quality and shipped in a rigid tube. Shipping is fast and free.
- HISTORIX: We love history and art. Sometimes old maps have tears, folds, separations and other blemishes. We digitally restore and enhance maps while keeping its historical character. All our maps are proudly made in the USA. We stand behind our products with a 100% satisfaction guarantee. Customers all over the world love our vintage maps and we know you will too.