Illustrated by noted American artist, cartographer, and publisher Fielding Lucas Jr, this stunning depiction of Delaware shows the State in a period of stability and growth. By the mid-1830s, Delaware's population was nearly one hundred thousand. The states' commercial opportunities had been expanded with the completion of the Chesapeake and Delaware canal in the earlier part of the nineteenth century. Comprised of only three counties, the State was established in 1638 by William Penn and was one of the original thirteen colonies. The Battle of Cooch's Bridge was a significant military engagement between Colonists and British forces during the American Revolution.
The border between Delaware and Maryland forms the Mason-Dixon Line, which is considered the de-facto point between the American north and south. Delaware was the first colony to ratify the United States Constitution. By the early nineteenth century, the ports and waterways allowed the State to import and export numerous goods. These ports would become essential features in the following decades as the American Civil War would rage on the Maryland and Virginia borders, Delaware became an important location for troops and armaments.
Lucas' depictions were among the most prized of the era, and this is truly a piece of American cartographical history. He became the most successful mapmaker in Baltimore, and his contributions to early American mapmaking are considerable. Delaware's mid-atlantic location and coastal geography have contributed to the development of a distinct culture and identity that blends Northern and Souther traditions.
Our museum quality giclee print comes printed with archival ink on premium heavyweight matte paper. Shipped in a sturdy cardboard tube your print will arrive ready to be framed. This eye-catching vintage map reproduction print makes the perfect gift for anyone that loves history and imagery.
- VINTAGE MAP REPRODUCTION: You’ll love this high quality historic reproduction of 1838 Delaware State Map. Our museum quality maps are archival grade, which means it will look great and last without fading for over 100 years. Our print to order maps are made in the USA and each map is inspected for quality. This beautiful artwork is a perfect addition to your themed decor. Vintage maps look great in the home, study or office. They make a perfect gift as well.
- MUSEUM QUALITY: This high quality map print will be a great addition to your vintage-themed wall. Don't waste money on cheap-looking, thin paper posters. We use thick, fine art print quality matte paper. Our professional’s choice matte paper displays artwork in high detail without glare. The color is vibrant and text is easy to read. When framed, this map looks absolutely stunning.
- A LOOK BACK AT HISTORY: This is an impressive, historic reproduction of 1838 Delaware Map. This print is from an original found in the maps and geography division of the US Library of Congress. A true, accurate piece of history. See our product description section for more fascinating information about this historic map and its significance.
- READY TO FRAME: This 18 x 24 Inch print includes a 0.2 inch border for a perfect frame fit and look. Our maps are designed to fit easy-to-find standard frame sizes, saving you money from having to pay for a custom frame. Each map is inspected for quality and shipped in a rigid tube.
- HISTORIX: We love history and art. Sometimes old maps have tears, folds, separations and other blemishes. We digitally restore and enhance maps while keeping its historical character. All our maps are proudly made in the USA. Customers all over the world love our vintage maps and we know you will too.