Produced during the height of the Mexican-American War by noted American publisher John Disturnell this depiction of Mexico was later used to define the International boundaries as defined in the Treaty of Hidalgo, which marked the end of the conflict in 1848. This annexation was the largest land acquisition by the United States since the Louisiana Purchase and created the US's contiguous portion from East to West. Mexico ceded much of its northern region, including modern day California, New Mexico, Nevada, Utah, Arizona, and Colorado. The United States had already annexed Texas in 1845 before the outbreak of the war. Disturnell produced this map from Henry Schenck's earlier piece, which had been completed in 1822 and published throughout the mid nineteenth century.
Disturnell enhanced this production with depictions of the Great Basin, Great Salt Lake, and shifting the US-Mexico border to the Rio Grande River as a natural border. During the border negotiations, American Ambassador Nicholas Trist used Disturnell's map as a reference to determine the new international border, which would run from the Rio Grande to the Gila River and end in San Diego at the southern tip of California.
Disturnell would publish twenty-three editions of this map from 1847 to 1858, and it is one of the most referenced depictions due to its significance in the formation of the southern border. The distinct aesthetic and unique style immediately transports the viewer back in time and is an authentic piece of cartographical history.
Our museum quality giclee print comes printed with archival ink on premium heavyweight matte paper. Shipped in a sturdy cardboard tube your print will arrive ready to be framed. This eye-catching vintage map reproduction print makes the perfect gift for anyone that loves history and imagery.
- VINTAGE MAP REPRODUCTION: You’ll love this high quality historic reproduction of 1847 Mexico Map. Our museum quality maps are archival grade, which means it will look great and last without fading for over 100 years. Our print to order maps are made in the USA and each map is inspected for quality. This beautiful artwork is a perfect addition to your themed decor. Vintage maps look great in the home, study or office. They make a perfect gift as well.
- MUSEUM QUALITY: This high quality map print will be a great addition to your vintage-themed wall. Don't waste money on cheap-looking, thin paper posters. We use thick, fine art print quality matte paper. Our professional’s choice matte paper displays artwork in high detail without glare. The color is vibrant and text is easy to read. When framed, this map looks absolutely stunning.
- A LOOK BACK AT HISTORY: This is an impressive, historic reproduction of 1847 Mexico Wall Map. This print is from an original found in the maps and geography division of the US Library of Congress. A true, accurate piece of history. See our product description section for more fascinating information about this historic map and its significance.
- READY TO FRAME: This 18 x 24 Inch print includes a 0.2 inch border for a perfect frame fit and look. Our maps are designed to fit easy-to-find standard frame sizes, saving you money from having to pay for a custom frame. Each map is inspected for quality and shipped in a rigid tube.
- HISTORIX: We love history and art. Sometimes old maps have tears, folds, separations and other blemishes. We digitally restore and enhance maps while keeping its historical character. All our maps are proudly made in the USA. Customers all over the world love our vintage maps and we know you will too.