Produced and published by Swiss-born lithographs John Bachmann, this stunning portrayal of one of the most iconic American cities depicts it in a time of significant growth, transition, and prosperity. Though Bachmann became most famous for his depictions of New York City, this detailed illustration of New Orleans with the Mississippi River in the foreground immediately transports the viewer back in time with its unique aesthetic and creates a link between the past and present.
By 1840 New Orleans had become not only the wealthiest but third-most populous American city, and its ports bustled with international vessels hauling in imports and loading up agricultural and manufactured goods destined for foreign lands. The completion of the Pontchartrain Railroad had allowed expanded access to the city. The fact that it had been established far earlier than other towns on the Gulf Coast allowed New Orleans to prosper and develop rapidly.
This map was published the same year as the completion of the New Orleans, Jackson, and Great Northern Railway, which connected Mississippi to Chicago, allowing for easier transport of goods. This spurred even further prosperity as goods could quickly move up the country instead of relying on more difficult navigation on the Mississippi River. New Orleans’ reputation was fully cemented by the middle of the nineteenth century, and its diverse culture was one of the most unique in the nation. This rare depiction of one of the most iconic American cities is truly a piece of American cartographical history.
Our museum quality giclee print comes printed with archival ink on premium heavyweight matte paper. Shipped in a sturdy cardboard tube your print will arrive ready to be framed. This eye-catching vintage map reproduction print makes the perfect gift for anyone that loves history and imagery.
- VINTAGE MAP REPRODUCTION: You’ll love this high quality historic reproduction of 1851 New Orleans Map Wall Art. Our museum quality maps are archival grade, which means it will look great and last without fading for over 100 years. Our print to order maps are made in the USA and each map is inspected for quality. This beautiful artwork is a perfect addition to your themed decor. Vintage maps look great in the home, study or office. They make a perfect gift as well.
- MUSEUM QUALITY: This high quality map print will be a great addition to your vintage-themed wall. Don't waste money on cheap-looking, thin paper posters. We use thick, fine art print quality matte paper. Our professional’s choice matte paper displays artwork in high detail without glare. The color is vibrant and text is easy to read. When framed, this map looks absolutely stunning.
- A LOOK BACK AT HISTORY: This is an impressive, historic reproduction of Vintage Map of New Orleans Wall Art. This print is from an original found in the maps and geography division of the US Library of Congress. A true piece of history. See our product description section for more fascinating information about this historic map and its significance.
- READY TO FRAME: This 18 x 24 Inch print includes a 0.2 inch border for a perfect frame fit and look. Our maps are designed to fit easy-to-find standard frame sizes, saving you money from having to pay for a custom frame. Each map is inspected for quality and shipped in a rigid tube.
- HISTORIX: We love history and art. Sometimes old maps have tears, folds, separations and other blemishes. We digitally restore and enhance maps while keeping its historical character. All our maps are proudly made in the USA. Customers all over the world love our vintage maps and we know you will too.