Published by prominent Baltimore-based Jacob Monk, this unique depiction of Colorado's gold-rich territories was produced at the height of the territories' first Gold Rush, which the discoveries at Pike's Peak in 1858. Eager prospectors flocked from the East, South, Ireland, and Western Europe to work in vast mines throughout the Rocky Mountains, and towns emerged around these mining camps as demand for supplies grew, and merchants established lucrative businesses.
Railroads had increased access to the western portion of the United States, which had been ceded the regions from Texas to California from Mexico following their defeat in the Mexican-American War in 1848. This resulted in a contiguous border from the Atlantic to Pacific Oceans and was the culmination of years of effort by the United States to control the Western territories. Though the territory would not achieve statehood until 1876, there was a growing effort within the Colorado Territory to become part of the United States. The United States, for its part, wanted to retain Union control over the Colorado territory as the country headed towards Civil War. The vast mineral reserves were invaluable to the United States' efforts during the Civil War, and Colorado remained under Union control throughout the conflict.
This stunning depiction instantly transports the viewer back in time and is an authentic piece of American cartographical history. The rich history of Colorado and the iconic Rocky Mountains have created some of the most recognizable images in the American West's history.
Our museum quality giclee print comes printed with archival ink on premium heavyweight matte paper. Shipped in a sturdy cardboard tube your print will arrive ready to be framed. This eye-catching vintage map reproduction print makes the perfect gift for anyone that loves history and imagery.
- VINTAGE MAP REPRODUCTION: You’ll love this high quality historic reproduction of 1862 Colorado Map Poster. Our museum quality maps are archival grade, which means it will look great and last without fading for over 100 years. Our print to order maps are made in the USA and each map is inspected for quality. This beautiful artwork is a perfect addition to your themed decor. Vintage maps look great in the home, study or office. They make a perfect gift as well.
- MUSEUM QUALITY: This high quality map print will be a great addition to your vintage-themed wall. Don't waste money on cheap-looking, thin paper posters. We use thick, fine art print quality matte paper. Our professional’s choice matte paper displays artwork in high detail without glare. The color is vibrant and text is easy to read. When framed, this map looks absolutely stunning.
- A LOOK BACK AT HISTORY: This is an impressive, historic reproduction of 1862 Map of Colorado Wall Art. This print is from an original found in the maps and geography division of the US Library of Congress. A true piece of history. See our product description section for more fascinating information about this historic map and its significance.
- READY TO FRAME: This 18 x 24 Inch print includes a 0.2 inch border for a perfect frame fit and look. Our maps are designed to fit easy-to-find standard frame sizes, saving you money from having to pay for a custom frame. Each map is inspected for quality and shipped in a rigid tube.
- HISTORIX: We love history and art. Sometimes old maps have tears, folds, separations and other blemishes. We digitally restore and enhance maps while keeping its historical character. All our maps are proudly made in the USA. Customers all over the world love our vintage maps and we know you will too.