Published in the middle of the American Civil War, this depiction of the countries of both Virginia and West Virginia shows the states in a period of significant transition. West Virginia had completed its secession from Virginia in 1861 and was admitted unto the Union during the Civil War in 1863. Both states would see numerous conflicts during the four years of war. Virginia had finalized its vote for secession in 1861, and the ensuing years would mark a long, tumultuous period in American History.
Produced from surveys, American geographer Samuel Augustus Mitchell created this full map of the counties in both states, and forces would have utilized maps of this nature on both sides during the Civil War. By 1863 the war was in full swing, and Lincoln announced the Emancipation Proclamation. Both states' western regions remain relatively peaceful during the conflict, with most of the battles occurring in their eastern portions.
His distinctive illustration is useful for historians to develop a scope of the growth and evolution of towns, cities, and counties. Both states were mostly agrarian throughout the nineteenth century, but Virginia did have some manufacturing and shipping industry developing in its Eastern regions. With the Union divided, most production in both the Northern and Southern states had focused on producing goods to be used by troops on the frontlines. The distinct aesthetic immediately transports the viewer back in time and links to the past; this is an authentic piece of cartographical History.
Our museum quality giclee print comes printed with archival ink on premium heavyweight matte paper. Shipped in a sturdy cardboard tube your print will arrive ready to be framed. This eye-catching vintage map reproduction print makes the perfect gift for anyone that loves history and imagery.
- VINTAGE MAP REPRODUCTION: You’ll love this high quality historic reproduction of 1863 Virginia and West Virginia Map. Our museum quality maps are archival grade, which means it will look great and last without fading for over 100 years. Our print to order maps are made in the USA and each map is inspected for quality. This beautiful artwork is a perfect addition to your themed decor. Vintage maps look great in the home, study or office. They make a perfect gift as well.
- MUSEUM QUALITY: This high quality map print will be a great addition to your vintage-themed wall. Don't waste money on cheap-looking, thin paper posters. We use thick, fine art print quality matte paper. Our professional’s choice matte paper displays artwork in high detail without glare. The color is vibrant and text is easy to read. When framed, this map looks absolutely stunning.
- A LOOK BACK AT HISTORY: This is an impressive, historic reproduction of 1863 Virginia and West Virginia Poster Map. This print is from an original found in the maps and geography division of the US Library of Congress. A true piece of history. See our product description section for more fascinating information about this historic map and its significance.
- READY TO FRAME: This 18 x 24 Inch print includes a 0.2 inch border for a perfect frame fit and look. Our maps are designed to fit easy-to-find standard frame sizes, saving you money from having to pay for a custom frame. Each map is inspected for quality and shipped in a rigid tube.
- HISTORIX: We love history and art. Sometimes old maps have tears, folds, separations and other blemishes. We digitally restore and enhance maps while keeping its historical character. All our maps are proudly made in the USA. Customers all over the world love our vintage maps and we know you will too.