Produced and illustrated by one of the most talented and prolific Bird’s Eye perspective publishers Albert Ruger, this stunning depiction of Kansas immediately transports the viewer back in time and creates a link between the past and the present. These illustrations were widely popular in the latter portion of the nineteenth century all the way until the 1920s. Their distinctive aesthetic is instantly recognizable.
Following the conclusion of the Civil War, Kansas City found itself in a period of significant growth and transformation. In the aftermath of the war, the city largely lost its association with Southern culture and became associated with larger northern cities like Chicago and St. Louis. Industrialization allowed their economy to flourish while cattle exchanges created another thriving industry.
Kansas City had experienced significant military activity during the Civil War, with Confederate forces continually trying to gain a stronghold in the state. Kansas City would remain under Union control for the duration of the war. The population exploded following the conclusion of the war, and with the completion of the Hannibal Bridge in 1869, the same year as this maps publication, it experienced another rapid expansion. With trade now being facilitated across the Missouri River, the city entered a new phase of modernity. By 1900 it would be the 22nd largest American city.
Ruger’s works are among the most recognized birds eye perspectives for his acute attention to detail and talent. This is an authentic piece of American cartographical history and tribute to an iconic American city.
Our museum quality giclee print comes printed with archival ink on premium heavyweight matte paper. Shipped in a sturdy cardboard tube your print will arrive ready to be framed. This eye-catching vintage map reproduction print makes the perfect gift for anyone that loves history and imagery.
- VINTAGE MAP REPRODUCTION: You’ll love this high quality historic reproduction of 1869 Map of Kansas City. Our museum quality maps are archival grade, which means it will look great and last without fading for over 100 years. Our print to order maps are made in the USA and each map is inspected for quality. This beautiful artwork is a perfect addition to your themed decor. Vintage maps look great in the home, study or office. They make a perfect gift as well.
- MUSEUM QUALITY: This high quality map print will be a great addition to your vintage-themed wall. Don't waste money on cheap-looking, thin paper posters. We use thick, fine art print quality matte paper. Our professional’s choice matte paper displays artwork in high detail without glare. The color is vibrant and text is easy to read. When framed, this map looks absolutely stunning.
- A LOOK BACK AT HISTORY: This is an impressive, historic reproduction of 1869 Kansas City Missouri Map. This print is from an original found in the maps and geography division of the US Library of Congress. A true piece of history. See our product description section for more fascinating information about this historic map and its significance.
- READY TO FRAME: This 18 x 24 Inch print includes a 0.2 inch border for a perfect frame fit and look. Our maps are designed to fit easy-to-find standard frame sizes, saving you money from having to pay for a custom frame. Each map is inspected for quality and shipped in a rigid tube.
- HISTORIX: We love history and art. Sometimes old maps have tears, folds, separations and other blemishes. We digitally restore and enhance maps while keeping its historical character. All our maps are proudly made in the USA. Customers all over the world love our vintage maps and we know you will too.