Produced and published by prolific American illustrator and lithographer Albert Ruger, this stunning depiction of one of America’s most iconic cities immediately transports the viewer back in time, creating an indelible link between the past and present. Ruger was a pioneering artist who was one of the first to adopt the distinctive birds eye perspective style, which began in the middle of the nineteenth century and would remain wildly popular until the 1920s. Ruger was one of the most noted lithographers of his era, and his works are included in the Smithsonian and the Library of Congress.
By 1870 Memphis’s population was more than double that of Atlanta and Nashville, and its unique culture and identity were driving more significant cultural shifts throughout Southern America. The years following the conclusion of the Civil War were a period of prosperity, growth, and transition for Memphis. The war had ravaged the American South, and Confederate forces were defeated in 1862 at the Battle of Memphis when ironclad Union warships besieged the city. Numerous immigrant communities had established thriving neighborhoods throughout the city, establishing cultural references to their home in Ireland, Germany, and other European regions, many of which exist to this day with these distinct cultural ties.
As the city expanded and drew eager workers from throughout the South and East Coasts, birds eye perspectives were produced to feature notable civic features and attract industrialists and workers alike. The rich detail and unique aesthetic of Ruger’s work make this an authentic piece of cartographical history.
Our museum quality giclee print comes printed with archival ink on premium heavyweight matte paper. Shipped in a sturdy cardboard tube your print will arrive ready to be framed. This eye-catching vintage map reproduction print makes the perfect gift for anyone that loves history and imagery.
- VINTAGE MAP REPRODUCTION: You’ll love this high quality historic reproduction of 1870 Memphis Map. Our museum quality maps are archival grade, which means it will look great and last without fading for over 100 years. Our print to order maps are made in the USA and each map is inspected for quality. This beautiful artwork is a perfect addition to your themed decor. Vintage maps look great in the home, study or office. They make a perfect gift as well.
- MUSEUM QUALITY: This high quality map print will be a great addition to your vintage-themed wall. Don't waste money on cheap-looking, thin paper posters. We use thick, fine art print quality matte paper. Our professional’s choice matte paper displays artwork in high detail without glare. The color is vibrant and text is easy to read. When framed, this map looks absolutely stunning.
- A LOOK BACK AT HISTORY: This is an impressive, historic reproduction of 1870 City of Memphis Poster. This print is from an original found in the maps and geography division of the US Library of Congress. A true piece of history. See our product description section for more fascinating information about this historic map and its significance.
- READY TO FRAME: This 18 x 24 Inch print includes a 0.2 inch border for a perfect frame fit and look. Our maps are designed to fit easy-to-find standard frame sizes, saving you money from having to pay for a custom frame. Each map is inspected for quality and shipped in a rigid tube.
- HISTORIX: We love history and art. Sometimes old maps have tears, folds, separations and other blemishes. We digitally restore and enhance maps while keeping its historical character. All our maps are proudly made in the USA. Customers all over the world love our vintage maps and we know you will too.