Produced and published by pioneering cartographer Albert Ruger this unique depiction of Lexington, Kentucky, shows the iconic American city in a period of significant growth and transition. His early success with the birds-eye perspective style allowed him to expand his Merchants Lithography Company into one of the largest mapmakers in America at the time. The distinctive aesthetic is immediately recognizable and immediately transports the viewer back in time, creating an indelible link between the past and present. Ruger popularized this style and became one of the most prolific birds eye perspective illustrators, with his works being included in the Smithsonian and Library of Congress.
Established in 1785, Lexington is one of the oldest cities in the United States. It has a rich history and, in the latter portion of the nineteenth century, was becoming an industrial and agricultural driver for the entire state of Kentucky. Kentucky achieved statehood in 1792 as the 15th state after splitting from the western portion of Virginia. Known as the Bluegrass State, Kentucky is home to the most extensive cave system in the United States, Mammoth Cave National Park.
Kentucky remained in the Union during the Civil War and was a critical border state during the conflict, and was the site of several key battles between the Union and Confederate forces, including Mill Springs and Perryville. The years following the Civil War's confusion saw Kentucky establish a growing economy based on distilling the State’s signature spirit, Bourbon, and breeding world-class racehorses.
Our museum quality giclee print comes printed with archival ink on premium heavyweight matte paper. Shipped in a sturdy cardboard tube your print will arrive ready to be framed. This eye-catching vintage map reproduction print makes the perfect gift for anyone that loves history and imagery.
- VINTAGE MAP REPRODUCTION: You’ll love this high quality historic reproduction of 1871 Lexington Map. Our museum quality maps are archival grade, which means it will look great and last without fading for over 100 years. Our print to order maps are made in the USA and each map is inspected for quality. This beautiful artwork is a perfect addition to your themed decor. Vintage maps look great in the home, study or office. They make a perfect gift as well.
- MUSEUM QUALITY: This high quality map print will be a great addition to your vintage-themed wall. Don't waste money on cheap-looking, thin paper posters. We use thick, fine art print quality matte paper. Our professional’s choice matte paper displays artwork in high detail without glare. The color is vibrant and text is easy to read. When framed, this map looks absolutely stunning.
- A LOOK BACK AT HISTORY: This is an impressive, historic reproduction of 1871 Lexington KY Map. This print is from an original found in the maps and geography division of the US Library of Congress. A true piece of history. See our product description section for more fascinating information about this historic map and its significance.
- READY TO FRAME: This 18 x 24 Inch print includes a 0.2 inch border for a perfect frame fit and look. Our maps are designed to fit easy-to-find standard frame sizes, saving you money from having to pay for a custom frame. Each map is inspected for quality and shipped in a rigid tube.
- HISTORIX: We love history and art. Sometimes old maps have tears, folds, separations and other blemishes. We digitally restore and enhance maps while keeping its historical character. All our maps are proudly made in the USA. Customers all over the world love our vintage maps and we know you will too.