Produced by German-born American lithographer Edward Sasche, this stunning depiction of United Staes Capital Washington D.C., with the White House displayed prominently in the foreground, and the Washington Monument in the background is a unique perspective of the city in a period of significant transition following the conclusion of the Civil War. Published in 1871, Washington D.C.’s population had expanded by seventy-five percent to nearly 132,000 residents. The unique aesthetic of this map immediately transports the viewer back in time.
Bird’s eye perspectives were tremendously popular from the late nineteenth century through the 1920s and were used as promotional tools for cities to attract businesses and residents alike. As the Capital of the nation, Washington D.C.’s history is robust and enduring, with its reputation looming large in the American consciousness.
During the reconstruction period following the Civil War, Washington D.C. was not only the political center of the reunited nation. Still, it was becoming a reflection of the diversity of America following the Civil War. The city would see a tremendous step towards modernity with motorized streetcars and growing suburban populations that began commuting to the city for work in government and government-related fields. Many prominent buildings were designed between 1860 and 1890 by German immigrant Adolf Cluss including The National Museum, The Agriculture Center, and the Sumner and Franklin Schools. This distinctive illustration of Washington D.C is a transformative depiction and truly a piece of American cartographical history.
Our museum quality giclee print comes printed with archival ink on premium heavyweight matte paper. Shipped in a sturdy cardboard tube your print will arrive ready to be framed. This eye-catching vintage map reproduction print makes the perfect gift for anyone that loves history and imagery.
- VINTAGE MAP REPRODUCTION: You’ll love this high quality historic reproduction of 1871 Washington DC Map Art. Our museum quality maps are archival grade, which means it will look great and last without fading for over 100 years. Our print to order maps are made in the USA and each map is inspected for quality. This beautiful artwork is a perfect addition to your themed decor. Vintage maps look great in the home, study or office. They make a perfect gift as well.
- MUSEUM QUALITY: This high quality map print will be a great addition to your vintage-themed wall. Don't waste money on cheap-looking, thin paper posters. We use thick, fine art print quality matte paper. Our professional’s choice matte paper displays artwork in high detail without glare. The color is vibrant and text is easy to read. When framed, this map looks absolutely stunning.
- A LOOK BACK AT HISTORY: This is an impressive, historic reproduction of 1871 Vintage Washington DC Map. This print is from an original found in the maps and geography division of the US Library of Congress. A true, accurate piece of history. See our product description section for more fascinating information about this historic map and its significance.
- READY TO FRAME: This 18 x 24 Inch print includes a 0.2 inch border for a perfect frame fit and look. Our maps are designed to fit easy-to-find standard frame sizes, saving you money from having to pay for a custom frame. Each map is inspected for quality and shipped in a rigid tube.
- HISTORIX: We love history and art. Sometimes old maps have tears, folds, separations and other blemishes. We digitally restore and enhance maps while keeping its historical character. All our maps are proudly made in the USA. Customers all over the world love our vintage maps and we know you will too.