Charleston's history is one of the oldest and most prosperous of any American city spanning hundreds of years since its settlement in 1670. Charleston was the South's leading city from the early colonial days until its devastation during the American Civil War. The town had grown wealthy through rice export, and its ports were bustling with trade creating fortunes for some prominent residents. This bird's eye perspective shows Charleston following the Confederate forces' defeat in 1865 and during a period of significant rebuilding and transformation.
The Civil War had caused Charleston to lose its prominence, and the war had shattered Charleston's local economy. Union forces remained and helped with rebuilding efforts. This detailed depiction bears a unique perspective that immediately transports the viewer back in time and creates a bond between the past and present. A massive fire in 1861 had burned some 164 acres and many of the most prominent homes and buildings. The fire was responsible for much of Charleston's devastation following the conclusion of the Civil War.
By 1872 the city had slowly rebuilt, and industries were returning, but it would never reach the heights it had prior to the outbreak of the Civil War. By the turn of the century, Charleston had reached a period of relative stability and prosperity and was enjoying the fruits of the so-called 'Gilded Age.' Shown here in one of its most significant transitions, this depiction of the Iconic Southern American city is an authentic piece of cartographical history.
Our museum quality giclee print comes printed with archival ink on premium heavyweight matte paper. Shipped in a sturdy cardboard tube your print will arrive ready to be framed. This eye-catching vintage map reproduction print makes the perfect gift for anyone that loves history and imagery.
- VINTAGE MAP REPRODUCTION: You’ll love this high quality historic reproduction of 1872 Charleston Map Print. Our museum quality maps are archival grade, which means it will look great and last without fading for over 100 years. Our print to order maps are made in the USA and each map is inspected for quality. This beautiful artwork is a perfect addition to your themed decor. Vintage maps look great in the home, study or office. They make a perfect gift as well.
- MUSEUM QUALITY: This high quality map print will be a great addition to your vintage-themed wall. Don't waste money on cheap-looking, thin paper posters. We use thick, fine art print quality matte paper. Our professional’s choice matte paper displays artwork in high detail without glare. The color is vibrant and text is easy to read. When framed, this map looks absolutely stunning.
- A LOOK BACK AT HISTORY: This is an impressive, historic reproduction of 1872 Charleston Wall Art. This print is from an original found in the maps and geography division of the US Library of Congress. A true piece of history. See our product description section for more fascinating information about this historic map and its significance.
- READY TO FRAME: This 18 x 24 Inch print includes a 0.2 inch border for a perfect frame fit and look. Our maps are designed to fit easy-to-find standard frame sizes, saving you money from having to pay for a custom frame. Each map is inspected for quality and shipped in a rigid tube.
- HISTORIX: We love history and art. Sometimes old maps have tears, folds, separations and other blemishes. We digitally restore and enhance maps while keeping its historical character. All our maps are proudly made in the USA. Customers all over the world love our vintage maps and we know you will too.