Published during a time of significant growth and expansion, Milwaukee's depiction stands as an enduring legacy to one of the most income American cities. Founded on Lake Michigan's shores at the confluence of the Menomonee, Kinnickinnic, and Milwaukee rivers, the city experienced tremendous growth in the second half of the eighteenth century as famine and civil unrest drew immigrants flocking to the city from Ireland, Germany, and Scandinavia. Immigrants formed tight-knit communities that established neighborhoods with distinct communities that thrive and exist to this day. Following the confusion of the Civil War, many southerners also came to the state seeking employment in its numerous breweries, mills, and manufacturing plants.
Produced by prominent American lithographer Howard H. Heston this maps’ distinctive aesthetic and recognizable style immediately transports the viewer back in time, creating a link between present and past. Birds’ eye perspectives were among the most popular illustrations during the late nineteenth century and would remain so through the 1920s. These were produced to promote commercial growth and were displayed in a show of civic pride.
The 1870s saw significant growth for Milwaukee and many land annexations occurred in surrounding towns creating a landscape that would be recognizable as Milwaukee’s current urban boundaries. Milwaukee’s prominence as one of the great northern cities is driven by a unique cultural landscape that evolved through the nineteenth and twentieth centuries. Produced during one of the most significant periods in Milwaukee’s history, this unique depiction is truly an authentic piece of cartographical history.
Our museum quality giclee print comes printed with archival ink on premium heavyweight matte paper. This eye-catching vintage map reproduction print makes the perfect gift for anyone that loves history and imagery.
- VINTAGE MAP REPRODUCTION: You’ll love this high quality historic reproduction of 1872 Milwaukee map. Our museum quality maps are archival grade, which means it will look great and last without fading for over 100 years. Our print to order maps are made in the USA and each map is inspected for quality. This beautiful artwork is a perfect addition to your themed decor. Vintage maps look great in the home, study or office. They make a perfect gift as well.
- MUSEUM QUALITY: This high quality map print will be a great addition to your vintage-themed wall. Don't waste money on cheap-looking, thin paper posters. We use thick, fine art print quality matte paper. Our professional’s choice matte paper displays artwork in high detail without glare. The color is vibrant and text is easy to read. When framed, this map looks absolutely stunning.
- A LOOK BACK AT HISTORY: This is an impressive, historic reproduction of 1872 Milwaukee wall art. This print is from an original found in the maps and geography division of the US Library of Congress. A true piece of history. See our product description section for more fascinating information about this historic map and its significance.
- READY TO FRAME: This 18 x 24 Inch print includes a 0.2 inch border for a perfect frame fit and look. Our maps are designed to fit easy-to-find standard frame sizes, saving you money from having to pay for a custom frame. Each map is inspected for quality and shipped in a rigid tube.
- HISTORIX: We love history and art. Sometimes old maps have tears, folds, separations and other blemishes. We digitally restore and enhance maps while keeping its historical character. All our maps are proudly made in the USA. Customers all over the world love our vintage maps and we know you will too.