Illustrated by prominent American artist Theodore R. Davis this stunning depiction of Philadelphia shows the iconic American City in a period of significant growth and transformation in the years following the Civil War. Davis was known for his eyewitness illustrations of significant events during the Civil War, and his work shifted to birds eye perspectives towards the end of the nineteenth century. President Rutherford Hayes commissioned Davis to design china dinnerware for First Lady Lucy Hayes, and his illustrations were among the most popular in the 1870s. During the Civil War, Davis traveled with Union forces extensively and was said to have seen more of the conflict than any other individual and was injured several times.
Philadelphia is one of the oldest cities and municipalities in the United States and is one of America's most iconic places. Industrialization caused a massive increase in population in the late nineteenth century, and the City had over a million residents by 1890. The City played a pivotal role in the American Revolution and has remained a cultural center of the East Coast. As European immigrants made roots in the City, many neighborhoods and communities were established and remain to this day.
Birds eye perspectives were wildly popular in the late nineteenth century until the 1920s and were produced to promote notable civic features and attract industrialists and workers alike. Their distinct aesthetic and remarkable detail immediately transport the viewer back in time, creating an indelible link between the past and present.
Our museum quality giclee print comes printed with archival ink on premium heavyweight matte paper. Shipped in a sturdy cardboard tube your print will arrive ready to be framed. This eye-catching vintage map reproduction print makes the perfect gift for anyone that loves history and imagery.
- VINTAGE MAP REPRODUCTION: You’ll love this high quality historic reproduction of 1872 Philadelphia Map Poster. Our museum quality maps are archival grade, which means it will look great and last without fading for over 100 years. Our print to order maps are made in the USA and each map is inspected for quality. This beautiful artwork is a perfect addition to your themed decor. Vintage maps look great in the home, study or office. They make a perfect gift as well.
- MUSEUM QUALITY: This high quality map print will be a great addition to your vintage-themed wall. Don't waste money on cheap-looking, thin paper posters. We use thick, fine art print quality matte paper. Our professional’s choice matte paper displays artwork in high detail without glare. The color is vibrant and text is easy to read. When framed, this map looks absolutely stunning.
- A LOOK BACK AT HISTORY: This is an impressive, historic reproduction of 1872 Wall Map of Philadelphia Poster. This print is from an original found in the maps and geography division of the US Library of Congress. A true piece of history. See our product description section for more fascinating information about this historic map and its significance.
- READY TO FRAME: This 18 x 24 Inch print includes a 0.2 inch border for a perfect frame fit and look. Our maps are designed to fit easy-to-find standard frame sizes, saving you money from having to pay for a custom frame. Each map is inspected for quality and shipped in a rigid tube.
- HISTORIX: We love history and art. Sometimes old maps have tears, folds, separations and other blemishes. We digitally restore and enhance maps while keeping its historical character. All our maps are proudly made in the USA. Customers all over the world love our vintage maps and we know you will too.