Published by prolific American cartographer and publisher Howard Heston Bailey this panoramic bird's eye perspective of Syracuse, NY, depicts the city in a period of significant population and industrial growth. The Erie Canal had expanded access throughout the region, and salt mining and production was Syracuse's primary industrial export with the bulk of the salt consumed in the United States coming from the city. The city's population grew fifty percent in the decade following the conclusion of the American Civil War, with nearly fifty thousand residents by the end of the 1870s.
Bird's eye perspectives were produced to display civic pride in businesses and residents as well as to promote cities and increase the population. These productions often featured prominent government buildings, businesses, and other notable region features and possess a distinctive aesthetic that immediately transports the viewer back in time. They were enormously popular in the late nineteenth century and remained so until the 1920s. These unique illustrations were not created as technical map depictions but rather as promotional tools.
Syracuse has remained the educational and economic hub of central New York. The city had been a hotbed of abolitionist politics in the years leading up to the Civil War. While the city did see a decline in salt production following the Civil War, it was replaced by an increase in manufacturing, and new residents flocked to the city in search of prosperity. This bird's eye perspective is truly a unique piece of American cartographical history.
Our museum quality giclee print comes printed with archival ink on premium heavyweight matte paper. Shipped in a sturdy cardboard tube your print will arrive ready to be framed. This eye-catching vintage map reproduction print makes the perfect gift for anyone that loves history and imagery.
- VINTAGE MAP REPRODUCTION: You’ll love this high quality historic reproduction of 1874 Syracuse New York Map. Our museum quality maps are archival grade, which means it will look great and last without fading for over 100 years. Our print to order maps are made in the USA and each map is inspected for quality. This beautiful artwork is a perfect addition to your themed decor. Vintage maps look great in the home, study or office. They make a perfect gift as well.
- MUSEUM QUALITY: This high quality map print will be a great addition to your vintage-themed wall. Don't waste money on cheap-looking, thin paper posters. We use thick, fine art print quality matte paper. Our professional’s choice matte paper displays artwork in high detail without glare. The color is vibrant and text is easy to read. When framed, this map looks absolutely stunning.
- A LOOK BACK AT HISTORY: This is an impressive, historic reproduction of 1874 Syracuse Map. This print is from an original found in the maps and geography division of the US Library of Congress. A true, accurate piece of history. See our product description section for more fascinating information about this historic map and its significance.
- READY TO FRAME: This 18 x 24 Inch print includes a 0.2 inch border for a perfect frame fit and look. Our maps are designed to fit easy-to-find standard frame sizes, saving you money from having to pay for a custom frame. Each map is inspected for quality and shipped in a rigid tube.
- HISTORIX: We love history and art. Sometimes old maps have tears, folds, separations and other blemishes. We digitally restore and enhance maps while keeping its historical character. All our maps are proudly made in the USA. Customers all over the world love our vintage maps and we know you will too.