Produced by prominent and prolific San Francisco based lithographers and publishers Charle B. And WC Gifford, this stunning birds-eye perspective, depicts San Jose, CA, in a time of significant growth and transition. San Jose is now the cultural and financial capital of Silicon Valley, and in 1875 was establishing itself as a city of innovation and creative thought. The town was incorporated in 1850, and the following three decades would allow the city to grow as rail access opened the region up and eager prospectors flooded the region during the Gold Rush and other mining discoveries.
Following the conclusion of the Mexica-American War in 1848, California was ceded to the United States government by Mexico. Government officials wasted no time establishing incorporated cities and towns throughout California. Birds’ eye perspectives were some of the most popular illustrations throughout the late nineteenth century and remained so until the 1920s. Their distinctive aesthetic and signature style immediately transports the viewer back in time. These maps were produced as marketing materials for cities to display prominent civil offices, notable businesses, merchants, and residents in a show of civic pride.
The decade after the end of the Civil War saw massive immigration to California from Eastern and Southern Americans brought by the fertile soil and opportunities in the large ports in San Francisco and later Los Angeles. San Jose is one of the icons of the American west, and this illustration is an authentic piece of cartographical history.
Our museum quality giclee print comes printed with archival ink on premium heavyweight matte paper. Shipped in a sturdy cardboard tube your print will arrive ready to be framed. This eye-catching vintage map reproduction print makes the perfect gift for anyone that loves history and imagery.
- VINTAGE MAP REPRODUCTION: You’ll love this high quality historic reproduction of 1875 San Jose Map. Our museum quality maps are archival grade, which means it will look great and last without fading for over 100 years. Our print to order maps are made in the USA and each map is inspected for quality. This beautiful artwork is a perfect addition to your themed decor. Vintage maps look great in the home, study or office. They make a perfect gift as well.
- MUSEUM QUALITY: This high quality map print will be a great addition to your vintage-themed wall. Don't waste money on cheap-looking, thin paper posters. We use thick, fine art print quality matte paper. Our professional’s choice matte paper displays artwork in high detail without glare. The color is vibrant and text is easy to read. When framed, this map looks absolutely stunning.
- A LOOK BACK AT HISTORY: This is an impressive, historic reproduction of 1875 San Jose City Map. This print is from an original found in the maps and geography division of the US Library of Congress. A true, accurate piece of history. See our product description section for more fascinating information about this historic map and its significance.
- READY TO FRAME: This 18 x 24 Inch print includes a 0.2 inch border for a perfect frame fit and look. Our maps are designed to fit easy-to-find standard frame sizes, saving you money from having to pay for a custom frame. Each map is inspected for quality and shipped in a rigid tube.
- HISTORIX: We love history and art. Sometimes old maps have tears, folds, separations and other blemishes. We digitally restore and enhance maps while keeping its historical character. All our maps are proudly made in the USA. Customers all over the world love our vintage maps and we know you will too.