Produced and published by prominent American cartographer, artist, and inventor ES Glover this stunning depiction of San Diego in 1876 presents the city in a unique light during a period of significant growth and transformation. Glover's work, and his bird's eye perspectives, in particular, was popular throughout the nineteenth century, and the immediately recognizable aesthetic sets them apart from other publications of the time. California was admitted into the Union in 1848 following the United States victory in the Mexican-American War. San Diego remained sparsely populated until the late nineteenth century, with most of the early settlers being men who stopped before reaching their ultimate destination of San Francisco during the Gold Rush.
By the 1870s, the city's trading ports had begun to rival those found in San Francisco, and the town was experiencing population growth unlike it had seen before. When the transcontinental railroad was completed in 1885, the city would experience another population explosion with eager immigrants from the east flooding in; this trend of sporadic population increases would continue through the 1930s.
As American interests grew in Hawaii, Guam, and the Philippines, San Diego's location positioned it to become the "Gibraltar of the Pacific," and it would eventually see the establishment of a sizeable Naval training base in the 1920s, which further spurred economic expansion and development. This unique illustration of the iconic American city immediately transports the viewer back in time and is a genuine price of American cartographical history.
Our museum quality giclee print comes printed with archival ink on premium heavyweight matte paper. Shipped in a sturdy cardboard tube your print will arrive ready to be framed. This eye-catching vintage map reproduction print makes the perfect gift for anyone that loves history and imagery.
- VINTAGE MAP REPRODUCTION: You’ll love this high quality historic reproduction of 1876 San Diego Map Poster. Our museum quality maps are archival grade, which means it will look great and last without fading for over 100 years. Our print to order maps are made in the USA and each map is inspected for quality. This beautiful artwork is a perfect addition to your themed decor. Vintage maps look great in the home, study or office. They make a perfect gift as well. map of jacksonville fl
- MUSEUM QUALITY: This high quality map print will be a great addition to your vintage-themed wall. Don't waste money on cheap-looking, thin paper posters. We use thick, fine art print quality matte paper. Our professional’s choice matte paper displays artwork in high detail without glare. The color is vibrant and text is easy to read. When framed, this map looks absolutely stunning.
- A LOOK BACK AT HISTORY: This is an impressive, historic reproduction of 1876 San Diego Vintage Poster Map This print is from an original found in the maps and geography division of the US Library of Congress. A true, accurate piece of history. See our product description section for more fascinating information about this historic map and its significance.
- READY TO FRAME: This 18 x 24 Inch print includes a 0.2 inch border for a perfect frame fit and look. Our maps are designed to fit easy-to-find standard frame sizes, saving you money from having to pay for a custom frame. Each map is inspected for quality and shipped in a rigid tube.
- HISTORIX: We love history and art. Sometimes old maps have tears, folds, separations and other blemishes. We digitally restore and enhance maps while keeping its historical character. All our maps are proudly made in the USA. Customers all over the world love our vintage maps and we know you will too.