Produced by prolific American mapmaker Albert Ruger, this detailed bird’s eye perspective of Cleveland shows the city in a period of significant growth and transformation. The Civil War had catapulted Cleveland into one of the major manufacturing centers of the Midwest, and this thriving industry continued to spur a booming local economy into the later parts of the nineteenth century. It was also one of the major oil refining cities, and along with steel manufacturing, many of the nation’s wealthiest residents called Cleveland home.
During the 1870s, bird’s eye perspective were among the most popular illustrations and were produced as marketing materials for cities to highlight prominent business and notable buildings. Merchants and residents alike also displayed them in a show of civic pride, and their distinctive aesthetic immediately transports the viewer back in time, creating a link between the past and present.
Ruger’s panoramic illustrations were considered some of the most detailed and accurate of the time period, and he was a prolific mapmaker with his Merchants Lithographing Company. Cleveland’s thriving economy attracted immigrants from Ireland and Eastern and Western Europe that formed close-knit communities and neighborhoods, many of which still retain their cultural identity to this day. The economy would continue thriving for the following century, and Cleveland became an icon of the Midwest. Cleveland’s population had more than doubled by the close of the 1870s and was developing a distinct cultural identity. This stunning depiction is an authentic piece of American cartographical history.
Our museum quality giclee print comes printed with archival ink on premium heavyweight matte paper. Shipped in a sturdy cardboard tube your print will arrive ready to be framed. This eye-catching vintage map reproduction print makes the perfect gift for anyone that loves history and imagery.
- VINTAGE MAP REPRODUCTION: You’ll love this high quality historic reproduction of 1877 Cleveland Map. Our museum quality maps are archival grade, which means it will look great and last without fading for over 100 years. Our print to order maps are made in the USA and each map is inspected for quality. This beautiful artwork is a perfect addition to your themed decor. Vintage maps look great in the home, study or office. They make a perfect gift as well.
- MUSEUM QUALITY: This high quality map print will be a great addition to your vintage-themed wall. Don't waste money on cheap-looking, thin paper posters. We use thick, fine art print quality matte paper. Our professional’s choice matte paper displays artwork in high detail without glare. The color is vibrant and text is easy to read. When framed, this map looks absolutely stunning.
- A LOOK BACK AT HISTORY: This is an impressive, historic reproduction of 1877 Cleveland Ohio Wall Art. This print is from an original found in the maps and geography division of the US Library of Congress. A true piece of history. See our product description section for more fascinating information about this historic map and its significance.
- READY TO FRAME: This 24 x 36 Inch print includes a 0.2 inch border for a perfect frame fit and look. Our maps are designed to fit easy-to-find standard frame sizes, saving you money from having to pay for a custom frame. Each map is inspected for quality and shipped in a rigid tube.
- HISTORIX: We love history and art. Sometimes old maps have tears, folds, separations and other blemishes. We digitally restore and enhance maps while keeping its historical character. All our maps are proudly made in the USA. Customers all over the world love our vintage maps and we know you will too.