Settled since as early as 1623, Hartford’s history occupies a central place in American history. Produced by one of the most prominent and prolific American mapmaker Oakley H. Bailey this bird's eye perspective immediately transports the viewer back in time. It creates a bond between the past and present. Bailey was among a group of illustrators who account for more than half of all such depictions, which were widely popular from the latter portion of the nineteenth century until the 1920s. The maps captured America’s imagination and were used to promote a city to expand its commercial growth, as well as to be displayed in a show of civic pride.
Published during the so-called ‘Gilded Age,’ Hartford was experiencing a period of great prosperity, growth, and transformation. During this time period, Hartford was the most affluent American city, outshining even Philadelphia and New York City. The city published more books than any other and was the center for the insurance industry. By 1880 the city’s population was nearing 50,000, and it was a cultural center for New England.
This illustration depicts Hartford in a time of stability and growth some twelve years following the conclusion of the Civil War. The capital city of Connecticut, Hartford’s contributions to American culture, can’t be underestimated. Home to the original Colt arms factory and the oldest public art museum. Produced during a time of tremendous pride and prosperity, this depiction of Hartford is truly an authentic piece of American cartographical history.
Our museum quality giclee print comes printed with archival ink on premium heavyweight matte paper. Shipped in a sturdy cardboard tube your print will arrive ready to be framed. This eye-catching vintage map reproduction print makes the perfect gift for anyone that loves history and imagery.
- VINTAGE MAP REPRODUCTION: You’ll love this high quality historic reproduction of 1877 Hartford map. Our museum quality maps are archival grade, which means it will look great and last without fading for over 100 years. Our print to order maps are made in the USA and each map is inspected for quality. This beautiful artwork is a perfect addition to your themed decor. Vintage maps look great in the home, study or office. They make a perfect gift as well.
- MUSEUM QUALITY: This high quality map print will be a great addition to your vintage-themed wall. Don't waste money on cheap-looking, thin paper posters. We use thick, fine art print quality matte paper. Our professional’s choice matte paper displays artwork in high detail without glare. The color is vibrant and text is easy to read. When framed, this map looks absolutely stunning.
- A LOOK BACK AT HISTORY: This is an impressive, historic reproduction of 1877 map of Hartford CT. This print is from an original found in the maps and geography division of the US Library of Congress. A true piece of history. See our product description section for more fascinating information about this historic map and its significance.
- READY TO FRAME: This 18 x 24 Inch print includes a 0.2 inch border for a perfect frame fit and look. Our maps are designed to fit easy-to-find standard frame sizes, saving you money from having to pay for a custom frame. Each map is inspected for quality and shipped in a rigid tube.
- HISTORIX: We love history and art. Sometimes old maps have tears, folds, separations and other blemishes. We digitally restore and enhance maps while keeping its historical character. All our maps are proudly made in the USA. Customers all over the world love our vintage maps and we know you will too.