Produced and published by the prolific Merchants Lithographing Company, founded by noted cartographer and engraver Eli Glover, this unique bird's eye perspective of Tacoma with Mount Rainier in the background shows the city in a period of growth and transition following the completion of the Western Terminus of the Northern Pacific Railroad. Tacoma grew steadily in the late nineteenth century with the completion of the transcontinental rail line in 1887, and the city experienced a population boom. That would continue through the early twentieth century. Initially, the line was planned to be established in Olympia to the West, but lobbying by the influential developer Morton McCarver diverted the station to Tacoma.
Birds eye perspectives were produced to highlight notable features and buildings in an effort to attract workers and industrialists alike. Residents and local merchants would also display them in a show of civic pride. These illustrations were wildly popular from the middle of the nineteenth century all the way into the 1920s. Local residents staged a global circumnavigation that began and ended in Tacoma in an effort to promote the city. The feat is commemorated by a plaque noting the starting and endpoint.
Glover produced many of these perspectives and worked primarily on the West Coast from San Francisco to Washington, and his works are noted for their distinctive aesthetic and accuracy. Their style is immediately recognizable and transports the viewer back in time, creating an indelible link between the present and past. This is an authentic piece of American cartographical history.
Our museum quality giclee print comes printed with archival ink on premium heavyweight matte paper. Shipped in a sturdy cardboard tube your print will arrive ready to be framed. This eye-catching vintage map reproduction print makes the perfect gift for anyone that loves history and imagery.
- VINTAGE MAP REPRODUCTION: You’ll love this high quality historic reproduction of 1878 Tacoma Washington Map. Our museum quality maps are archival grade, which means it will look great and last without fading for over 100 years. Our print to order maps are made in the USA and each map is inspected for quality. This beautiful artwork is a perfect addition to your themed decor. Vintage maps look great in the home, study or office. They make a perfect gift as well.
- MUSEUM QUALITY: This high quality map print will be a great addition to your vintage-themed wall. Don't waste money on cheap-looking, thin paper posters. We use thick, fine art print quality matte paper. Our professional’s choice matte paper displays artwork in high detail without glare. The color is vibrant and text is easy to read. When framed, this map looks absolutely stunning.
- A LOOK BACK AT HISTORY: This is an impressive, historic reproduction of 1878 Tacoma Poster Map. This print is from an original found in the maps and geography division of the US Library of Congress. A true piece of history. See our product description section for more fascinating information about this historic map and its significance.
- READY TO FRAME: This 18 x 24 Inch print includes a 0.2 inch border for a perfect frame fit and look. Our maps are designed to fit easy-to-find standard frame sizes, saving you money from having to pay for a custom frame. Each map is inspected for quality and shipped in a rigid tube.
- HISTORIX: We love history and art. Sometimes old maps have tears, folds, separations and other blemishes. We digitally restore and enhance maps while keeping its historical character. All our maps are proudly made in the USA. Customers all over the world love our vintage maps and we know you will too.