Published by pioneering lithographer, illustrator, and mapmaker Albert Ruger, this stunning depiction of Minneapolis in 1879, shows the city in a period of significant growth and transition. Ruger's bird's eye perspective technique was becoming in vogue during the middle part of the nineteenth century and was one of the most popular styles by the turn of the century. The distinctive aesthetic of these perspectives immediately transports the viewer back in time. These maps were produced not only to promote the city to prospective merchants and workers but for local businesses and residents to display their civic pride.
Minneapolis grew around Fort Snelling, which had been established at the confluence of the Mississippi and Minnesota Rivers, where the Saint Anthony Falls provided power for numerous flour and sawmills. Saint Anthony to the east was annexed by Minneapolis in 1872 to form one city that spanned the rivers banks.
European immigrants had flocked to the region during the nineteenth century due to its cold climate and vast dairy and farmlands that were reminiscent of the lands of Northern Europe and Scandinavia. These immigrants established numerous close-knit communities throughout the state. During Industrialization, many flocked to Minneapolis for jobs in manufacturing and milling, further establishing neighborhoods based on each unique heritage. By 1879 Minneapolis produced a majority of the nation's flour and relied heavily on the robust spring wheat, which was harvested in the summer. Minneapolis's rich history and unique character are on display in this authentic piece of cartographical history.
Our museum quality giclee print comes printed with archival ink on premium heavyweight matte paper. Shipped in a sturdy cardboard tube your print will arrive ready to be framed. This eye-catching vintage map reproduction print makes the perfect gift for anyone that loves history and imagery.
- VINTAGE MAP REPRODUCTION: You’ll love this high quality historic reproduction of Minneapolis Map Poster. Our museum quality maps are archival grade, which means it will look great and last without fading for over 100 years. Our print to order maps are made in the USA and each map is inspected for quality. This beautiful artwork is a perfect addition to your themed decor. Vintage maps look great in the home, study or office. They make a perfect gift as well.
- MUSEUM QUALITY: This high quality map print will be a great addition to your vintage-themed wall. Don't waste money on cheap-looking, thin paper posters. We use thick, fine art print quality matte paper. Our professional’s choice matte paper displays artwork in high detail without glare. The color is vibrant and text is easy to read. When framed, this map looks absolutely stunning.
- A LOOK BACK AT HISTORY: This is an impressive, historic reproduction of 1879 Wall Art Minneapolis Poster. This print is from an original found in the maps and geography division of the US Library of Congress. A true, accurate piece of history. See our product description section for more fascinating information about this historic map and its significance.
- READY TO FRAME: This 18 x 24 Inch print includes a 0.2 inch border for a perfect frame fit and look. Our maps are designed to fit easy-to-find standard frame sizes, saving you money from having to pay for a custom frame. Each map is inspected for quality and shipped in a rigid tube.
- HISTORIX: We love history and art. Sometimes old maps have tears, folds, separations and other blemishes. We digitally restore and enhance maps while keeping its historical character. All our maps are proudly made in the USA. Customers all over the world love our vintage maps and we know you will too.