Published in stunning detail, with a distinctive style, this depiction of Rochester in 1880 shows the city in a period of significant growth and transition. With detailed topographical features and extremely detailed illustration, American lithographer HH Rowley was known for these popular illustrations. He produced only fourteen focused on New England towns and cities. During the years following the Civil War, Rochester experienced a population boom and tripled in size from 1860 to 1900. These birds' eye perspectives were produced as marketing materials for towns and cities, highlighting prominent civil buildings, merchants, and notable public spaces, though the detailing of Rowley's perspectives is unrivaled.
Rochester had been settled since the late eighteenth century, and many Italian, German, and Irish immigrants established neighborhoods around the mills and manufacturing plants that fueled the cities economy during the eighteenth and nineteenth centuries. It became known for being the headquarters of the famous Eastman Kodak film and camera manufacturer. The late nineteenth century found the city opening up due to even greater access by the completion of five different rail lines, which made the city a hub for central New York.
Bird's eye perspectives were among the most popular illustration throughout the late nineteenth century through the 1920s, and their distinguished style immediately transports the viewer back in time. While not drawn to perspective, they offer a different portrayal of the city and create a sense of the local culture. Produced with remarkable detail, this is an authentic piece of American cartographical history.
Our museum quality giclee print comes printed with archival ink on premium heavyweight matte paper. Shipped in a sturdy cardboard tube your print will arrive ready to be framed. This eye-catching vintage map reproduction print makes the perfect gift for anyone that loves history
- VINTAGE MAP REPRODUCTION: You’ll love this high quality historic reproduction of 1880 Rochester Map. Our museum quality maps are archival grade, which means it will look great and last without fading for over 100 years. Our print to order maps are made in the USA and each map is inspected for quality. This beautiful artwork is a perfect addition to your themed decor. Vintage maps look great in the home, study or office. They make a perfect gift as well.
- MUSEUM QUALITY: This high quality map print will be a great addition to your vintage-themed wall. Don't waste money on cheap-looking, thin paper posters. We use thick, fine art print quality matte paper. Our professional’s choice matte paper displays artwork in high detail without glare. The color is vibrant and text is easy to read. When framed, this map looks absolutely stunning.
- A LOOK BACK AT HISTORY: This is an impressive, historic reproduction of 1880 Rochester Wall Art. This print is from an original found in the maps and geography division of the US Library of Congress. A true, accurate piece of history. See our product description section for more fascinating information about this historic map and its significance.
- READY TO FRAME: This 18 x 24 Inch print includes a 0.2 inch border for a perfect frame fit and look. Our maps are designed to fit easy-to-find standard frame sizes, saving you money from having to pay for a custom frame. Each map is inspected for quality and shipped in a rigid tube.
- HISTORIX: We love history and art. Sometimes old maps have tears, folds, separations and other blemishes. We digitally restore and enhance maps while keeping its historical character. All our maps are proudly made in the USA. Customers all over the world love our vintage maps and we know you will too.