This depiction details the lands ceded by the Cherokee Nations in the years following the conclusion of the Civil War. While the Cherokee’s history is often marked by the forced movement from tribal lands in the eighteenth and nineteenth centuries, their legacy as one of the first indigenous American people to have a formal government also makes them unique. Produced in 1884 by prominent American cartographer CC Royce this detailed depiction features an overlay of where the Cherokee Nations had held land until ceding it to the United States with various treaties throughout the nineteenth century.
Royce Maps are noted for their distinctive aesthetic and his notable figure as a nineteenth-century researcher who primarily studied land cessions of American Indians from 1784 to 1894, concluding his work with a final report containing all dates, maps, and natural boundaries that were of particular significance for numerous tribes. He noted natural waterways that formed natural boundaries for pre-historic indigenous groups. By the turn of the century, most of the Cherokee nation lived in present-day Oklahoma, and when the territory achieved statehood in 1907, Cherokee’s received citizenship and property rights.
The Cherokee had been one of the largest American Indian tribes and were primarily settled in the Southeastern US prior to the Colonists' arrival. This remarkable depiction allows the viewer to gain a sense of the rich history and culture of one of the most significant American Indian tribes and is a genuine piece American Indian of cartographical history.
Our museum quality giclee print comes printed with archival ink on premium heavyweight matte paper. Shipped in a sturdy cardboard tube your print will arrive ready to be framed. This eye-catching vintage map reproduction print makes the perfect gift for anyone that loves history and imagery.
- VINTAGE MAP REPRODUCTION: You’ll love this high quality historic reproduction of 1884 Cherokee Indian Map. Our museum quality maps are archival grade, which means it will look great and last without fading for over 100 years. Our print to order maps are made in the USA and each map is inspected for quality. This beautiful artwork is a perfect addition to your themed decor. Vintage maps look great in the home, study or office. They make a perfect gift as well.
- MUSEUM QUALITY: This high quality map print will be a great addition to your vintage-themed wall. Don't waste money on cheap-looking, thin paper posters. We use thick, fine art print quality matte paper. Our professional’s choice matte paper displays artwork in high detail without glare. The color is vibrant and text is easy to read. When framed, this map looks absolutely stunning.
- A LOOK BACK AT HISTORY: This is an impressive, historic reproduction of 1884 Cherokee Nation Vintage Map. This print is from an original found in the maps and geography division of the US Library of Congress. A true, accurate piece of history. See our product description section for more fascinating information about this historic map and its significance.
- READY TO FRAME: This 18 x 24 Inch print includes a 0.2 inch border for a perfect frame fit and look. Our maps are designed to fit easy-to-find standard frame sizes, saving you money from having to pay for a custom frame. Each map is inspected for quality and shipped in a rigid tube.
- HISTORIX: We love history and art. Sometimes old maps have tears, folds, separations and other blemishes. We digitally restore and enhance maps while keeping its historical character. All our maps are proudly made in the USA. Customers all over the world love our vintage maps and we know you will too.