Published some four years after the city was officially incorporated, this stunning illustration of Phoenix immediately transports the viewer back in time and is truly an authentic piece of American cartographical history. The town had been transformed by the arrival of railroads in the early part of the decade, which caused an economic boom and population surge. Phoenix became the territorial capital in 1889 and was becoming a fixture of the American West. Goods flowed into the city via railcar, and Phoenix became a vital trade center for settlers establishing ranches in the rugged desert terrain.
The same year that this map was published, the final leg of the Santa Fe, Prescott, Phoenix Railroad connected the region to the Northern part of the state, and Phoniex ultimately grew more due to the increased access. In 1893 the city had begun annexing surrounding territory and would grow from half a square mile to over two by the century's turn.
Birds-eye perspectives were produced as marketing materials for cities across the nation, and merchants and residents often displayed them in a show of civic pride. Their distinctive aesthetic is immediately recognizable, and they were among the most popular depictions from the second half of the nineteenth century until their popularity waned in the 1920s. The late nineteenth century was a transformative period for Phoenix, and its growth would continue. The dry, arid climate attracted residents coming from across the nation, particularly through the start of the twentieth century.
Our museum quality giclee print comes printed with archival ink on premium heavyweight matte paper. Shipped in a sturdy cardboard tube your print will arrive ready to be framed. This eye-catching vintage map reproduction print makes the perfect gift for anyone that loves history and imagery.
- VINTAGE MAP REPRODUCTION: You’ll love this high quality historic reproduction of 1885 Phoenix Arizona Map. Our museum quality maps are archival grade, which means it will look great and last without fading for over 100 years. Our print to order maps are made in the USA and each map is inspected for quality. This beautiful artwork is a perfect addition to your themed decor. Vintage maps look great in the home, study or office. They make a perfect gift as well.
- MUSEUM QUALITY: This high quality map print will be a great addition to your vintage-themed wall. Don't waste money on cheap-looking, thin paper posters. We use thick, fine art print quality matte paper. Our professional’s choice matte paper displays artwork in high detail without glare. The color is vibrant and text is easy to read. When framed, this map looks absolutely stunning.
- A LOOK BACK AT HISTORY: This is an impressive, historic reproduction of 1885 Map of Phoenix AZ. This print is from an original found in the maps and geography division of the US Library of Congress. A true, accurate piece of history. See our product description section for more fascinating information about this historic map and its significance.
- READY TO FRAME: This 18 x 24 Inch print includes a 0.2 inch border for a perfect frame fit and look. Our maps are designed to fit easy-to-find standard frame sizes, saving you money from having to pay for a custom frame. Each map is inspected for quality and shipped in a rigid tube.
- HISTORIX: We love history and art. Sometimes old maps have tears, folds, separations and other blemishes. We digitally restore and enhance maps while keeping its historical character. All our maps are proudly made in the USA. Customers all over the world love our vintage maps and we know you will too.