- VINTAGE MAP REPRODUCTION: You’ll love this high quality historic reproduction of 1885 Solar System Map. Our museum quality maps are archival grade, which means it will look great and last without fading for over 100 years. Our print to order maps are made in the USA and each map is inspected for quality. This beautiful artwork is a perfect addition to your themed decor. Vintage maps look great in the home, study or office. They make a perfect gift as well.
- MUSEUM QUALITY: This high quality map print will be a great addition to your vintage-themed wall. Don't waste money on cheap-looking, thin paper posters. We use thick, fine art print quality matte paper. Our professional’s choice matte paper displays artwork in high detail without glare. The color is vibrant and the text is easy to read. When framed, this map looks absolutely stunning.
- A LOOK BACK AT HISTORY: This is an impressive, historic reproduction of 1885 Solar System Poster. This print is from an original found in the maps and geography division of the US Library of Congress. A true piece of history. See our product description section for more fascinating information about this historic map and its significance.
- READY TO FRAME: This print includes a 0.2 inch border for a perfect frame fit and look. Our maps are designed to fit easy-to-find standard frame sizes, saving you money from having to pay for a custom frame. Each map is inspected for quality and shipped in a rigid tube.
- HISTORIX: We love history and art. Sometimes old maps have tears, folds, separations and other blemishes. We digitally restore and enhance maps while keeping its historical character. All our maps are proudly made in the USA. Customers all over the world love our vintage maps and we know you will too.
Published at a time of significant gains in astronomical science, this stunning depiction of the Solar System and what was understood about it in the late nineteenth century bears a unique aesthetic and distinctive style which immediately transports the viewer back in time. Maps of the cosmos, and Lunar maps, were valued at the time for maritime navigation and educational purposes. Produced by A&C Black, this detailed illustration includes seasonal data and a mariner’s compass. A&C Black has been [publishing maps since 1807, and their depictions are among the most famous in history for their accuracy and distinctive aesthetic. Their atlases were prized during the nineteenth century for their thorough information, and they published the Encyclopedia Brittanica from 1827 to 1903.
Astronomical theory was being developed rapidly at the end of the nineteenth century and advances in telescopic technology-fueled these advances. Ship captains and sailors had long used the solar system to guide them across the globe. By the late nineteenth century, much of this information had been legitimized by astronomers, both professional and amateur. In 1872 American Astronomer Henry Draper produced the first photograph of a star, which allowed astronomers to use spectroscopy to understand stars better.
Astronomy and studying the solar system dates back to antiquity and is the oldest natural science, as the night sky has long captured cultures' imagination and curiosity. The late nineteenth century was no different, and this elegant depiction of the solar system is an authentic piece of cartographical history.
Our museum quality giclee print comes printed with archival ink on premium heavyweight matte paper. Shipped in a sturdy cardboard tube your print will arrive ready to be framed. This eye-catching vintage map reproduction print makes the perfect gift for anyone that loves history and imagery.