This unique piece of Railway history was published in 1886, which marked the end of the third major Railway expansion in Michigan. This wave of construction was spurred on by the passing of legislation gifting the Railroad companies 5 million acres of land, which they could sell to build lines connecting major cities and towns. This allowed trade to boom across the state, allowing easy access to the state?s upper peninsula.
The map details the connections at Toledo, Ann Arbor, and North Michigan, illustrating the connections and providing viewers a glimpse into the era. These hubs supported a thriving iron ore and copper industry form the western part of the state. Published before the final push of Railroad construction in the late 1880s, which saw the network grow from 1000 miles to over 9000 miles by 1890. This last period has been referred to by historians as ?Michigan?s Railroad mania.
Ann Arbor saw a surge in population in the mid-1880s sparked by an expanding milling industry the region experienced a massive influx of immigrants from eastern Europe as well as Italy, and Greece. The city is also home to the University of Michigan, which relocated from Detroit in 1837.
These maps were a valuable resource to residents and merchants alike and even included information regarding drainage. The maps also include detailed descriptions of Railroad traffic, which gives the viewer another level of context for what life was like at this time; this is an authentic piece of cartographical and Railroad history.
Our museum quality giclee print comes printed with archival ink on premium heavyweight matte paper. Shipped in a sturdy cardboard tube your print will arrive ready to be framed. This eye-catching print makes the perfect gift for anyone that loves history and imagery.
- VINTAGE MAP REPRODUCTION: You’ll love this high quality historic reproduction of 1886 State of Michigan Map . Our museum quality maps are archival grade, which means it will look great and last without fading for over 100 years. Our print to order maps are made in the USA and each map is inspected for quality. This beautiful artwork is a perfect addition to your themed decor. Vintage maps look great in the home, study or office. They make a perfect gift as well.
- MUSEUM QUALITY: This high quality map print will be a great addition to your vintage-themed wall. Don't waste money on cheap-looking, thin paper posters. We use thick, fine art print quality matte paper. Our professional’s choice matte paper displays artwork in high detail without glare. The color is vibrant and text is easy to read. When framed, this map looks absolutely stunning.
- A LOOK BACK AT HISTORY: This is an impressive, historic reproduction of 1886 State of Michigan Map . This print is from an original found in the maps and geography division of the US Library of Congress. A true, accurate piece of history. See our product description section for more fascinating information about this historic map and its significance.
- READY TO FRAME: This 18 x 24 Inch print includes a 0.2 inch border for a perfect frame fit and look. Our maps are designed to fit easy-to-find standard frame sizes, saving you money from having to pay for a custom frame. Each map is inspected for quality and shipped in a rigid tube.
- HISTORIX: We love history and art. Sometimes old maps have tears, folds, separations and other blemishes. We digitally restore and enhance maps while keeping its historical character. All our maps are proudly made in the USA. Customers all over the world love our vintage maps and we know you will too.