Established in 1848 on the western bank of the Sacramento River, this stunning depiction of California’s Capital city immediately transports the viewer back in time. It creates an indelible link between the past and present. By 1890 the iconic city was thriving and on a period of growth, prosperity, and transition. The first transcontinental telegraph line in Sacramento was completed in 1861. It marked the closure of the iconic Pony Express, which also had its last stop in Sacramento. Sacramento was also home to the first stop of the Transcontinental Railroad.
The period leading to the turn of the century marked an economic boom for the city, which enjoyed a diverse economy aided by the railroad hub in the city. Sacramento’s history is marked by transportation, and its location in the central region of California allowed for a thriving agricultural industry, as well as manufacturing and banking in the urban centers. Vast cattle ranches surrounded Sacramento, and these were critical for supplying Union forces during the Civil War. The invention of refrigerated rail cars allowed for perishable items like fruits and vegetables to become valuable commodities in Northern and Eastern markets.
Sacramento’s rich history as the banking hub of central and Northern California was established in the Gold Rush of 1848 when gold was discovered at Sutter’s Mill some fifty miles northeast of the city. This led to a large population expansion of prospectors and those eager to profit off of them. This is truly an authentic piece of American cartographical history.
Our museum quality giclee print comes printed with archival ink on premium heavyweight matte paper. Shipped in a sturdy cardboard tube your print will arrive ready to be framed. This eye-catching vintage map reproduction print makes the perfect gift for anyone that loves history and imagery.
- VINTAGE MAP REPRODUCTION: You’ll love this high quality historic reproduction of 1890 Sacramento Map Poster. Our museum quality maps are archival grade, which means it will look great and last without fading for over 100 years. Our print to order maps are made in the USA and each map is inspected for quality. This beautiful artwork is a perfect addition to your themed decor. Vintage maps look great in the home, study or office. They make a perfect gift as well
- MUSEUM QUALITY: This high quality map print will be a great addition to your vintage-themed wall. Don't waste money on cheap-looking, thin paper posters. We use thick, fine art print quality matte paper. Our professional’s choice matte paper displays artwork in high detail without glare. The color is vibrant and text is easy to read. When framed, this map looks absolutely stunning.
- A LOOK BACK AT HISTORY: This is an impressive, historic reproduction of 1890 Map of Sacramento CA. This print is from an original found in the maps and geography division of the US Library of Congress. A true piece of history. See our product description section for more fascinating information about this historic map and its significance.
- READY TO FRAME: This 24 x 36 Inch print includes a 0.2 inch border for a perfect frame fit and look. Our maps are designed to fit easy-to-find standard frame sizes, saving you money from having to pay for a custom frame. Each map is inspected for quality and shipped in a rigid tube.
- HISTORIX: We love history and art. Sometimes old maps have tears, folds, separations and other blemishes. We digitally restore and enhance maps while keeping its historical character. All our maps are proudly made in the USA. Customers all over the world love our vintage maps and we know you will too.